Aggressive cockeral

Mtnred

Chirping
Jul 6, 2022
I've raised him from 2 weeks but at 5 months he became aggressive with me, he is almost 7m now. I'm the primary care giver for the flock. He started as a flogger, then a scratcher while flogging, he stalks me as I walk around, stopping when I stop. Yesterday he flew and hit me in the back, I never seen him before he hit me. He is spurring now, even though they are about 1/4" they penetrate. I've tried everything but nothing seems to work. Rehoming is not an option, would separating him for a few weeks possibly work? He is great with the girls, protects them and isn't mean. I have no doubt he would fight for the flock. He always watches out for them and alerts at any danger. Is there any chance he will mellow out in a few month's?
BC2.jpg

Welcome!
He's only going to get worse, and can really injure you, or anyone else he meets. When he's stalking you, he's not taking care of his flock! If you do manage to make him respect you (doubtful!) he will still attack any other human who appears, a huge liability!
This bird has been a great learning experience for you, as you think about how his behaviors have developed over his lifetime, so your next cockerels can be evaluated sooner, before full on attacks are happening.
"Nasty roosters taste best", an old and true statement.
If you can't do him yourself, someone else will appreciate having a chicken dinner. And sooner is better than later.
Mary

I always (unfortunately) keep roos unless they're aggressive to me or my girls. I have 2 separate bachelor groups that I run & have 11 roos total.

I had a very aggressive roo that bit me when I tried to get close or pick him up. His name is Razer.. for obvious reasons. 😬 I wanted to get rid of him because I knew it'd only get worse, but my husband (who has nothing to do with the flocks) wanted to keep him.

I found something he was scared of, a black fishing net.. I'm guessing it resembles a vulture or hawk in the sky. I would sit on the ground with treats for everyone.. GOOD treats.. & let him eat from my hand. However, I kept the net close so he could see it, but it didn't pose a threat. If yours won't come near or you're not comfortable letting him that close, start with tossing the treats just far enough away for comfort level.

This is Razer & I just a few minutes ago! He did not bite me when I picked him up to inspect his toes (molting problems with pants 😮‍💨).

I hope your roo comes around! They're such lovely birds.. until they're not. 😅

Attachments

• 20220930_091607.jpg
    20220930_091607.jpg
    567 KB · Views: 2
I have 0 tolerance when it comes to aggressive roosters. I have read many accounts on this site of people attempting to rehabilitate their roosters with varying levels of success, but usually the outcome is not good. Having an aggressive rooster really saps the joy out of keeping chickens. I'm not interested in going up to take care of the flock and having to watch my back. That is so stressful.
If a rooster manages to get his spurs into your skin during an attack it could get infected quite easily.
I would get rid of him. I always see plenty of free or cheap roosters and cockerels on craigslist that people want to get rid of and don't want to eat because they're sweet. There's lots of nice boys out there!

Is there any chance he will mellow out in a few month's?
Yes, many do. It can take a while though and meantime although you write you've tried everything what many don't try is adjusting their behaviour, instead concentrating on try to adjust the cockerels behaviour.
For some people adjust their behaviour isn't an option for reasons ranging from poor health to unsuitable keeping circumstances. Only you can decide if you are prepared to put in the time and effort into this cockerel.
A point usually overlooked in many of these posts is cockerels and roosters are aggressive by nature. It's who they decide they and/or their hens need protecting from. Cockerels and roosters don't care how big you are and the fact that you the keeper can supply a seemingly limitless supply of treats for their hens is a point of infuriation because it puts the keeper in direct competition with the cockerel/rooster.
First step for anyone who keeps any type of livestock is understand the creature you are keeping and wear appropriate clothing when in contact with that creature. In this case heavy weight footware and trousers. You wouldn't try to pick up or feed a mink with bare hands, or move cattle and horses wearing flip flops for obvious reasons.

This article may help.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/

Welcome!
He's only going to get worse, and can really injure you, or anyone else he meets. When he's stalking you, he's not taking care of his flock! If you do manage to make him respect you (doubtful!) he will still attack any other human who appears, a huge liability!
This bird has been a great learning experience for you, as you think about how his behaviors have developed over his lifetime, so your next cockerels can be evaluated sooner, before full on attacks are happening.
"Nasty roosters taste best", an old and true statement.
If you can't do him yourself, someone else will appreciate having a chicken dinner. And sooner is better than later.
Mary
I was raised with poultry, but I don't remember this kind of aggression. I guess that was where all the dumplings and fried chicken came in the picture., grandma culled. I seriously have tried and changed most all suggested. I've changed my way of approaching and feeding. It will go great a day or two and then yesterday happened, attack. I wasn't even close to the hens. The spur place got infected and I had to treat so I don't want more of that. My decision has to be made soon, you are right. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom