Aggressive Cockerel

I think we all tend, or at least I did, to keep that first rooster too long. The longer I play this game, the more confident, especially in backyard flocks, you get what you get, it is a crapshoot.

Roosters have ruined the whole chicken experience for a lot of people. Some people never get over their fear of a rooster, because they were attacked as a child.

Anymore, I tell by the look in their eye.

Mrs K

Hi everyone, this is my first year with chickens so I am still learning and I am having quite the dilemma right now. I have 6 standard sized pullets and 1 golden Sebright bantam cockerel. Everything has been fine until just a few weeks ago. They were born the first week of March so they are right around 7 months old so I know based on their age why this is happening as I know my cockerels hormones are going wild. He is a good boy to my hens, is not rough with them, when I bring out treats for them and put them down he chirps and calls them over, no issue there. But he has been aggressive towards any human the last month. I have little siblings and nieces and nephews and they love the chickens and are always wanted to pet them and see them. A few weeks ago my 2 and a half year old nephew was inside my chicken run with me (20ft by 10ft area) and my rooster attacked my nephew and scratched his neck and I felt terrible and grabbed him right away. Long story short he attacked my buddy who was watching my chickens one weekend while I was away. Another time my fiancée went into the coop to get the eggs and he jumped on her back. And just this week every time I go into the coop or run he tries to attack my legs or fly at me. He actually jumped on my back one day and clawed my hat off of my head. I have tried pinning him down gently until he submits so he knows I’m the alpha. I have tried making myself look big so he doesn’t mess me with me. I have never hurt him but I have definitely shown him I am the boss and he does not learn. I would also like to note that I don’t necessarily need his protection from predators as I have a very sturdy coop and completely enclosed and covered run. I guess I just like having his beauty and his crow around because I live in the country. I hate that I have to watch my back every time I go into the coop to clean it (my coop is an 8ft by 10ft shed) or every time I am out in the chicken run. I hate it, and I love the little guy but it would be SO much easier if he was gone. It also makes me sad because I want my siblings and nieces and nephews to be able to sit with the chickens without worrying about being attacked. I guess I’m asking if I should cull him or not. And if I do how would it affect my current flock of 6 hens? :( thank you for everyone with advice.
I’m having a simular problem but not not quit like u are. If he has hurt a child and attacked you I would cull him. Someone is going to really get hurt. My cockeral has settled down n never actually physically attacked or make contact YET and I’m really debating culling him. I’ve put him on Craig’s list and stated he has started to be aggressive n scaring my 14 yr old grandaughter but no takers yet. I hope you can get rid of him before you regret it because he sounds dangerous. I know it’s hard , I liked my Roo too n he is handsome. But you have to get it in your mind, who’s more important. Nowi may have to do the same thing n practice what I preach. Please keep us posted.

'Nasty roosters taste best!'
Heard this years ago on this site. So very true! Your only regrets will center on 'why didn't I do this sooner'.
There are polite, beautiful, useful roosters out there, and you can raise a good guy another time. Peace is a wonderful thing!
Mary

Is there places that cull and butcher them for you, I mean in general I know you wouldn’t know precisely where In my area, if I googled it what would I call a place like this. I feel stupid asking these questions but that’s the way to learn.

Back
Top Bottom