Aggressive dad Quail!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Daithi, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Daithi

Daithi New Egg

Aug 6, 2011
    Hello all at BackYardChickens!I'm new to the forum and was wondering could someone help me please?
    I purchased a male and female chinese painted quail this year and they have successfully produced 8
    beautiful tiny chicks in the last couple of days(the female incubated the eggs herself).The problem was,the
    male was getting quite aggressive towards the youngsters and so I felt it was necessary to remove him.I was
    just wondering when it would be possible to put him back in?How long would it be before they would be big enough
    to fend for themselves so to speak?The male is now inside the house in a spare breeding box I have.The others are
    in a small aviary which I have in the backyard.I don't want to keep him in the breeding box or indeed in the house
    indefinitely.I had the pair in the house originally but the whole household was awoken at cockcrow every morning
    by that unusual sound the quail make(a sound all quail owners know only too well!!).Thank you.

2. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Cant help you but Shellyd or quailladyoffortmyers will know! Sorry

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    You are not planning to raise them all together are you?

The dad should be placed back with mom when the babies are in their own cage. In the wild, the babies are shooed at 7-9 weeks of age to find their mates so that should be when you put the male with his mate and the "children" get paired with their mates.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by