Aggressive drake towards us

New duck mommy 2021

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Oct 19, 2021
Medicine Hat , alberta , Canada
My drake is a Khaki Campbell. I got him when he was 8 days old and we didn't put him with the others till he was 2 months. He always follows me around and is very friendly with people not so friendly to my dogs or cats. He has got my husky a few times in the butt and she has never even bothered the ducks.
we lost our one girl last month so its just him and one other female. the last week he has started to be aggressive towards me and others. My female has laid a nest and once it got to about 10 eggs he started this biting my feet every time i would walk now it's my hands as well. I have tried the pin him down , time outs , ignoring him and nothing is working in fact he is just getting worse the more I try to show him I am boss. My girl is only sitting on the nest at night and not in the day. I don't go near the nest when they are around
I will not be giving him away or eating him. He is great with my girl even though he mates her several times a day he is gentle towards her.
I know he is protecting her and the nest and this is just his instinct
does anyone have any other things I can try?
should I remove the nest? Because she is only sitting at night I have taken her eggs out and replaced with chicken eggs so i could incubate hers. I really wanted her to do this herself but she is young only 6 months and doesn't fully get what she is doing yet

One, he needs more females or he will ovemate your only duck. His behavior is because he wants to mate and he will pick whatever is available since he doesn't have enough of his own flock. Overmating comes with many other issues - whether "he's gentle" or not. He's also still a juvenile so not likely to settle down just yet.
You can pen him separately, but you're still going to have to interact with him. I suggest carrying a broom to keep him from coming at you.
Two, the reason she is only sitting on eggs at night is because that's where she is laying them. Shes not really broody. A broody only leaves the nest periodically to get food and water. Ducks will lay in the same place every day (broody or not). From reading your other threads, I suggest destroying the nest and to try again in the spring if you think she will hatch her own eggs. Let her mature a bit. I know you want to incubate as well. I would suggest finding some other fertilized eggs to incubate - either buy from a hatchery like metzer or get some from a neighbor (or friend).

Take it from me having a duck bite a dog isn't a good idea. My gander would nip at my mid-sized dog when she would walk by him. Till one day she had enough and turned around and grabbed him by the neck, thank goodness we were right there [we never let our birds and dogs mingle without supervision,] She didn't get the chance to injure him but it sure scared me. And it caused me to train the geese into leaving the dogs alone when they would all be allowed to be together. It only takes one good bite.

Take it from me having a duck bite a dog isn't a good idea. My gander would nip at my mid-sized dog when she would walk by him. Till one day she had enough and turned around and grabbed him by the neck, thank goodness we were right there [we never let our birds and dogs mingle without supervision,] She didn't get the chance to injure him but it sure scared me. And it caused me to train the geese into leaving the dogs alone when they would all be allowed to be together. It only takes one good bite.
I also don't leave them to mingle alone. It's only when I am out there that I let the ducks out of the pen areas into the big yard with us and that's when he has got my dog. She is now scared of the ducks and if she sees them she runs up to the upper level of the yard she will no longer hang out with me if the ducks are around
I'M glad you were there and able to prevent it
Can I ask what you did to train them not to do this?

When I let everyone out together, the geese thought they needed to bully the dogs so I started taking a long pole out with me I also used it for herding when needed, and as soon as the geese started at one of the dogs the pole was placed in front of them. It didn't take long at all for the geese to realize they weren't to go past the pole I was holding out in front of them. My ducks have never gone after one of the dogs not even my drakes thank goodness. A broom would work also and maybe a pop in the butt if you need to get the message across better.

When I let everyone out together, the geese thought they needed to bully the dogs so I started taking a long pole out with me I also used it for herding when needed, and as soon as the geese started at one of the dogs the pole was placed in front of them. It didn't take long at all for the geese to realize they weren't to go past the pole I was holding out in front of them. My ducks have never gone after one of the dogs not even my drakes thank goodness. A broom would work also and maybe a pop in the butt if you need to get the message across better.
Thank you
I will give that a try

One, he needs more females or he will ovemate your only duck. His behavior is because he wants to mate and he will pick whatever is available since he doesn't have enough of his own flock. Overmating comes with many other issues - whether "he's gentle" or not. He's also still a juvenile so not likely to settle down just yet.
You can pen him separately, but you're still going to have to interact with him. I suggest carrying a broom to keep him from coming at you.
Two, the reason she is only sitting on eggs at night is because that's where she is laying them. Shes not really broody. A broody only leaves the nest periodically to get food and water. Ducks will lay in the same place every day (broody or not). From reading your other threads, I suggest destroying the nest and to try again in the spring if you think she will hatch her own eggs. Let her mature a bit. I know you want to incubate as well. I would suggest finding some other fertilized eggs to incubate - either buy from a hatchery like metzer or get some from a neighbor (or friend).
our goal is 4 females and him. unfortunately we lost one of our girls not long ago
he didn't get like this till she had 10 eggs and started to sit at night I have looked in and she is fully laying on all the eggs from 8pm till around 7am I was up all night one night checking and she never left them today she didn't come out till 9am but once she comes out she doesn't go back all day unlees its 2 mins to turn them.I started to remove the eggs now and replace with non fertile chicken eggs so she wouldn't notice them missing
I have 4 babies started in the eggs i started taking daily the others had started but stopped early before I got to incubate them( not sure if this is do to her warming them all night and staying off all day for several days in a row?) before she had 10 in there she was not sleeping in the nesting box she would be out in the other area
today is day 6 for the one egg and the baby has a heart beat, lots of great veins and a little black spot (the eye)
I am very happy my ducks are not sterile
I am new to all of this so it's a lot to learn
we have a Blue Swedish female coming in the spring as well as we will keep 2 females from our eggs
Hopefully this helps Mr Peep

our goal is 4 females and him. unfortunately we lost one of our girls not long ago
he didn't get like this till she had 10 eggs and started to sit at night I have looked in and she is fully laying on all the eggs from 8pm till around 7am I was up all night one night checking and she never left them today she didn't come out till 9am but once she comes out she doesn't go back all day unlees its 2 mins to turn them.I started to remove the eggs now and replace with non fertile chicken eggs so she wouldn't notice them missing
I have 4 babies started in the eggs i started taking daily the others had started but stopped early before I got to incubate them( not sure if this is do to her warming them all night and staying off all day for several days in a row?) before she had 10 in there she was not sleeping in the nesting box she would be out in the other area
today is day 6 for the one egg and the baby has a heart beat, lots of great veins and a little black spot (the eye)
I am very happy my ducks are not sterile
I am new to all of this so it's a lot to learn
we have a Blue Swedish female coming in the spring as well as we will keep 2 females from our eggs
Hopefully this helps Mr Peep
Have you candled any of the eggs she is sitting on? Or is that what you're referring to the 4 and the rest are non-viable? Replacing the eggs with non-fertile chicken eggs isn't really going to do anything for your duck. If she's sitting on non-viable eggs, remove them all and destroy the nest. Unless you are planning on sliding the ducklings under her? But that might not work if there are no viable eggs that she's sitting on - they can hear the ducklings and feel movement from the eggs once it gets closer to hatch.

The drake is at the puberty stage since he's a juvenile. His actions may or may not have anything to do with the nest, but definitely it is hormone related. His actions might not even change once he gets more females. It's really a gamble. But, usually once they get older, they will settle down.
I'm glad to hear you will be getting hom more females.

Have you candled any of the eggs she is sitting on? Or is that what you're referring to the 4 and the rest are non-viable? Replacing the eggs with non-fertile chicken eggs isn't really going to do anything for your duck. If she's sitting on non-viable eggs, remove them all and destroy the nest. Unless you are planning on sliding the ducklings under her? But that might not work if there are no viable eggs that she's sitting on - they can hear the ducklings and feel movement from the eggs once it gets closer to hatch.

The drake is at the puberty stage since he's a juvenile. His actions may or may not have anything to do with the nest, but definitely it is hormone related. His actions might not even change once he gets more females. It's really a gamble. But, usually once they get older, they will settle down.
I'm glad to hear you will be getting hom more females.
I did candle all the eggs before taking them from the nest a few looked like they were starting but never changed after a week in the incubator the only ones that are working are the ones I started to remove each morning
I just felt bad destroying the nest after she just lost her sister that's why I gave her other eggs
I was also hopeful that if she started sitting non stop I would put the incubated ones back under her but its just not happening
I have the room and supplies to raise ducklings but really wanted her to do it as it's less work for me and I wont have to go through the putting them together later
she is still laying each morning this clutch is up to 18 eggs now
Maybe by spring she will be able to do her own or maybe she never will she is a pekin duck
my cell phone broke but once I get my new one I will take pics of egg candeling

Back
Top Bottom