Aggressive Female Turkey?

outofthereality

Chirping
May 9, 2020
Hi yall, I been raising my turkeys for a year. I have a Tom Holland and bronze female and black Spanish female Turkey with my 10 chickens. Since they were little. The Tom and bronze Turkey don’t have issues with the chickens but for some reason the black Spanish female has now attack 3 of my chickens. I’m not sure why. They are severe. One of my chickens is currently inside bc of the severity of the attack. The other two weren’t as bad but at this point I’m not sure what to do with her aggression to the chickens. Any suggestions?

Honestly, your best option would probably be to separate the chickens and turkeys permanently.

My turkey hens, even when not raised around chickens, don’t mesh well with them and tend to get fighty. Your hen probably won’t let up on attacking them, and you never know whether The tom and other hen will begin injuring chickens as well. Toms raised around chickens see them as hens, and will try to mate with them, which can end pretty poorly for the chicken. You may see some of those issues once your turkeys begin breeding in the spring, or may not.

Taking that into account, just separating them into separate pens would be the best option. Removing the one hen turkey hen is an option, And may work temporarily, but she could come back more aggressive in an attempt to restart the pecking order, or the other turkeys could begin hurting your chickens. Putting them in a completely separate pen, without chickens to potentially injure, would be the most concrete way to stop them from harming your chickens. It takes time and resources to build the pen, yes, but simply removing them from a situation where they could injure your chickens is the best option.

Hi yall, I been raising my turkeys for a year. I have a Tom Holland and bronze female and black Spanish female Turkey with my 10 chickens. Since they were little. The Tom and bronze Turkey don’t have issues with the chickens but for some reason the black Spanish female has now attack 3 of my chickens. I’m not sure why. They are severe. One of my chickens is currently inside bc of the severity of the attack. The other two weren’t as bad but at this point I’m not sure what to do with her aggression to the chickens. Any suggestions?
Separate the turkeys from the chickens. Your Black hen is exhibiting the traits of the low one in the turkey pecking order and taking it out on the chickens.

Turkeys need a lot more room than chickens need. Chickens kept with turkeys need lots of obstacles and hiding places. Turkeys are very single minded when they decide to do something they keep at it until they get the "job" done.

I would separate them. Even if she wasn't showing signs of being aggressive, they are usually much larger and could easily injure a chicken by accident.

We have chickens and are awaiting our first turkeys(June), we are building a separate Turkey compound. My dominant rooster and his 4 underlings, as sweet as they are, would not tolerate the turkeys, and with the size that the turkeys will reach, they could injure the chickens, by accident, easily, so we aren't taking any chances on anyone getting injured or worse.

Back
Top Bottom