Aggressive Green Spalding Peacock

Sweet Peachick

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2017
I raised 6 birds sense they were hatched. Ended up with 3 males and 3 females. I've always let them out of their pen to free roam but Jade my Emerald Green peacock at 3 years of age has become to aggressive for me and he would attack me often leaving horrible wounds on my back and legs. I've had to leave him locked up and when I go into the pen to feed and clean he is on top of me. I'm a little lady 5'6 130 pounds. Last night he got out and this morning started to stalk me. I sprayed him with the hose, I swung at him with a broom, and finally we had a massive battle because he would not give up (this went on for about 2 hours). When he couldn't beat on me he turned and started attacking the females harshly. One ran back into the pen and he ran after her ripping her feather out. I got the door shut but had to stop him from attacking her so I beat the living crap out of him. He has finally calmed down. I hate the fact that I had to put a hurting on him but I'm at a lose as to what to do with him. I don't want to kill him but I can't have an animal of his size hurting people or other animals. My other peacocks are very tame and friendly. What are your suggestions?

I hear Peafowl taste just like chicken...

Personally I wouldn't keep a bird that's showing that KIND of aggression. We have only seen it once here, thankfully, and I had a friend pick him up (who actually did eat him, but that's what you get here for being such a complete JERK like that bird was). Imo, when it's attacking both you AND hens unprovoked and with intent to do harm rather than mate or chase off, it's time to go.

That being said, spring is often very hard on the hormones of males, especially the young ones. If you're intent on keeping him, you could try penning him by himself and seeing if it passes with time. It could also be a matter of not enough hens for the number of males you have. And lastly, from what I've heard, some folks have found that when they raise very tame birds with lots of interaction as babies, occasionally the birds grow up and start to consider you a mate or a rival. It doesn't sound like that's the case here, since he's outright attacking hens. But, something to consider as a possibility, or as something acting in combination with the rest.

And maybe one of these:
61BI2ZYJeDL._SY879_.jpg

Last edited:
I thought you would have gotten someone to take him by now, you had a lot of replies on your FB post. I had an IBBS, a fabulous looking guy that was gifted to me that we called Ron after the guy that gave him to us. Ron would stake out a section of land and no one could enter his domain. When Candy put her pool there he had to go. Poor wife had to carry a stick with her and I had to be careful when mowing as he would constantly attack the mower. Out of breeding season, he was a joy to have around, he would eat from our hands and was very gentle. Ron ended up immortalized by a taxidermist. He is in a far better place than sleeping with the worms.

In my experience once this sort of thing starts it doesn't ever really stop especially during breeding season. It is typical for spaldings and greens to be aggressive to both hens and people and there's not much you can do about it.

I've had peafowl for almost 10 years and have only had problems with the high percentage Green species. A male I raised from a chick attacked with talen pearcing my scalp to my skull and along the bone sending me to the hospital bleeding profusely. He'd become aggressive his 4th year during breeding season. Had to carry a garbage can lid in the 13x30 foot aviary to protect myself. Was about 3 weeks after end of breeding season he had calmed down. Had the lid but he came off a roost 6 feet high. Once got him off my head he kept attacking from ground with me finning him off with lid. Maybe going to have problems this summer with my replacement Green male. This one is becoming aggressive. I need that suit of armor Kedreeva posted, LOL!!

Back
Top Bottom