I have a lot of hawks over my area as well but when they see me they move on
You must have a very determined hawk
I wave my long blue pool noodle in the air and this seems to work
I also have a husky that hangs with my ducks that may help
my pen is covered with netting I feel 100% safe with them in there
The other part of the yard is not and I worry all the time
Last year I only noticed hawks at dusk and dawn this year it’s anytime in between

So today I was outside standing there with one of my geese. I noticed her giving me the side eye, but as I was standing on my deck above her didn't think anything of it.

Then I saw her look again, but up in the opposite direction and I thought uh oh.. looked straight up and sure enouugh a good sized red-tailed hawk flying directly overhead.

It cruised on by, no mind to the chickens.

So I've now read a fair amount of things here to help deter hawks. The hawk(s) seem to be getting more aggressive. Great info and help here though!

This evening the hawk swooped ME. I came outside expecting to scare him off again because my hens were yelling, but I couldn't find him. Then I felt the wind woosh above my head. I ducked (probably too late), and he flew right over me as if taunting me. He could've attacked my head easily if he wanted to. Has this happened to anyone?

The previous owners of this house gave me their three hens with some advice on how to keep them happy and healthy and living. However, I've noticed they didn't do a great job building the pen and I'll have to redo it with some better wire, more space, and better security in general. Happy to have the chickens and fresh eggs. They are quite adorable and entertaining.

I admit, I probably let them free range too much in the beginning and that's what attracted the hawks. The previous owners had a dog which maybe helped and probably let the hens free range less as well.

I've installed a motion sensing solar light to scare off big predators at night. I re-stapled the chicken wire to the posts and closed any gaps and holes. I've put some CDs around the pen and fence. Bought a carabiner to keep the pen door latched even for savvy predators...

Going to put more CD's out there, on strings or fishing line now. Maybe streamers or something else too. But I have a feeling this won't work.

Might try buying a chicken statue to mess with it when it attacks the statue to no avail. Don't think I want to put up an owl decoy because I don't want to attract other owls... Maybe other statues? Fake snakes, eagles, crows, etc? I've also heard this doesn't work because they realize they don't move often and the hawks start to notice it's you who moves them.

Might try attracting crows with dried fruit and nuts? How else? Not sure I want crows in my yard anyway though because I don't want the noise.

Maybe roosting spikes around the fencing in my backyard and around the top of their pen? At least to get them away from landing too close.

I'm considering having my sister's dog hang out here for a bit and see if that does anything. Also I do want a dog, maybe a rescue pit, or in a perfect world I would raise a puppy to behave with the chickens well. Still, I've read that may not work.

It's illegal to shoot at hawks, but what about a bb gun or an airsoft gun?

For now I don't let the hens free range unless I'm out there as well doing yard work and whatnot. If I let them out I keep them from going too far and under the small 2 foot high deck on the other side of the yard (because then I can't get them back until they go back to the pen themselves for bed). That said, the chickens are pretty used to running for cover and are careful and spooked now more than ever after the hawk decided to hang out on top of the pen one recent morning.

Thanks for reading! Would appreciate any help!!
There is another thread on here about using a very unorthodox method...
Good results, if you look at the last post/update
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-hawk-repellent-idea.1350304/

So I've now read a fair amount of things here to help deter hawks. The hawk(s) seem to be getting more aggressive. Great info and help here though!

This evening the hawk swooped ME. I came outside expecting to scare him off again because my hens were yelling, but I couldn't find him. Then I felt the wind woosh above my head. I ducked (probably too late), and he flew right over me as if taunting me. He could've attacked my head easily if he wanted to. Has this happened to anyone?

The previous owners of this house gave me their three hens with some advice on how to keep them happy and healthy and living. However, I've noticed they didn't do a great job building the pen and I'll have to redo it with some better wire, more space, and better security in general. Happy to have the chickens and fresh eggs. They are quite adorable and entertaining.

I admit, I probably let them free range too much in the beginning and that's what attracted the hawks. The previous owners had a dog which maybe helped and probably let the hens free range less as well.

I've installed a motion sensing solar light to scare off big predators at night. I re-stapled the chicken wire to the posts and closed any gaps and holes. I've put some CDs around the pen and fence. Bought a carabiner to keep the pen door latched even for savvy predators...

Going to put more CD's out there, on strings or fishing line now. Maybe streamers or something else too. But I have a feeling this won't work.

Might try buying a chicken statue to mess with it when it attacks the statue to no avail. Don't think I want to put up an owl decoy because I don't want to attract other owls... Maybe other statues? Fake snakes, eagles, crows, etc? I've also heard this doesn't work because they realize they don't move often and the hawks start to notice it's you who moves them.

Might try attracting crows with dried fruit and nuts? How else? Not sure I want crows in my yard anyway though because I don't want the noise.

Maybe roosting spikes around the fencing in my backyard and around the top of their pen? At least to get them away from landing too close.

I'm considering having my sister's dog hang out here for a bit and see if that does anything. Also I do want a dog, maybe a rescue pit, or in a perfect world I would raise a puppy to behave with the chickens well. Still, I've read that may not work.

For now I don't let the hens free range unless I'm out there as well doing yard work and whatnot. If I let them out I keep them from going too far and under the small 2 foot high deck on the other side of the yard (because then I can't get them back until they go back to the pen themselves for bed). That said, the chickens are pretty used to running for cover and are careful and spooked now more than ever after the hawk decided to hang out on top of the pen one recent morning.

I had a head butting with my landlord, because he thought free range was better, but I absolutely would not. Waaay too many predators. And besides, we have a really good-sized coop and 2 little runs, all with overhead covering. I would like to do the perimeter with concrete soon. Maybe run some barbed wire at certain points. As for an aggressive hawk, I throw rocks. And they don't like my yelling. What about an air horn? I carry a hígh-pitched whistle on a lanyard.

Back
Top Bottom