aggressive hen or normal behavior?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mener6896, Nov 8, 2009.

1. mener6896

mener6896 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    so I went out early this morning, before sunrise (around 5:45) to see my crowing rooster. He just learned a few weeks ago [​IMG] Anyway, I was noticing a particular hen that was very aggressive toward the other girls. At first she looked like she was trying to "mount" the other girls, and I thought maybe she really is a roo (most of my chickens are only 22 weeks, so not laying yet!) I checked closer, and believe she really is a hen, but she kept pecking the other girls and fighting with them.

My question is: at what point do I not consider this normal behavior developing "pecking" order, and isolate her from the other girls?

btw, I have 2 roosters with beautiful crows, and one that hasn't started crowing yet! so far, I love that sound!!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I wouldn't seperate her unless she is drawing blood - in which case you'd need to seperate the bloody one too. They'll have little squabbles their whole life, especially if a lower ranking member steps outta line.
    Once your roosters are old enough to "man up" and one of them has claimed the spot of alpha rooster, it's very likely he will step in on these hen squabbles and put them both back in their place.

For the most part, I've let my flock work out their pecking order issues on their own. They know what they're doing and how their flock dynamics work a whole lot better than I ever will.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by