Aggressive Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stacia907, Nov 1, 2009.

1. stacia907

stacia907 New Egg

Nov 1, 2009
    Anchorage, Alaska
    I have 3 girls, 1 Rhode Island Red and 2 Araucana. I got them when they were little and recently the Rhode Island Red has become quite aggressive, she has been pecking feathers from the younger Araucana and has created a bald spot right under her "chin." She has also started pecking at my feet and when I reach down to pick something up near her she pecks at my hands. I am not sure how to handle her or why she has become so aggressive. I had had them since June and she has never shown aggression before now. It is getting cold where I live and they are spending more time in the coop but they free range all day. I've read that boredom and mites are sometimes to blame, could they be bored? I've tried to give them lettuce recently and they ignored it-not sure what I am doing wrong. any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

She's probably pecking your hand for goodies and has probably picked the feathers off the other hen to eat them because beard feathers get stuff stuck to them, thus causing them to stick out. More things to do would probably help, along with a hot pick on the beard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by