Aggressive Hen??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Artemis Fowl, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Artemis Fowl

Artemis Fowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Arizona
    I have a RiR hen who constantly attacks people, dogs, shadows, pretty much everything. When she attacks she bites and tries to flog I'm guessing. Sometimes she'll even run across the yard to attack my unsuspecting nieces. Also she is nowhere near the top of the pecking order and rarely attacks the other chickens. What should I do?

2. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    How old is she? Sounds more like Rooster behavior. [​IMG] Just a thought.......

3. Artemis Fowl

Artemis Fowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Arizona
    That's what I thought, but she's about 1 and half and has been doing it since she was young.

4. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    I'm all for trying to rehab bad chicken behavior, but when you have children involved, I think it's time to get rid of the aggressive offender. That said, if you are dead set on rehabbing the bad chicken, then maybe try treats. If there is something your chickens really love maybe have everyone who may come in contact with her have treats to give her. She may finally start associating people with food rather than competitors. But for me, if I had a chicken threatening my nieces, she would be soup.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  5. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    I would find her a new home if you don't want to make chicken soup.. as much as I love my hens.. and roosters too.. I can't tolerate aggressiveness - especially towards children. Another option would to keep her penned.

I have been lucky and haven't had to deal with mean chickens.. one of my sweeties does peck a freckle on my leg.. Alot.. but she is just trying to "debug" me.. so now I go out with a bandade covering it. [​IMG]

I do have several other farms on speed dial if ever I have a need..

Just my advice.

Shelly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by