aggressive hen

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sjt345, Sep 7, 2011.

1. sjt345

sjt345 New Egg

Sep 7, 2011
    Hello, I am new to this forum and hoped I could get some advice. A couple of years ago I rehomed four ex battery hens and they were fantastic. They were friendly towards my other animals - dog, cats and rabbits and vice versa. Over the two years all but one of the hens died and a couple of weeks ago I rehomed 3 more ex battery hens. They could not be more different than my previous lot. My existing girl, Dolly is top of the pecking order and that was sorted out quickly. However, the three new ones, one in particular are very aggressive. They are making my poor rabbits life hell and whenever I go anywhere near them, the most aggressive one will peck and chase. My arms are covered in bruises from her 'nips'. I can cope with this but I have two children who like spending time in the run with the chickens and most aggressive hen chases them too. This morning, I lifted the nest box and just moved my son away in time before he was pecked in the face. They are kept in a large walk in run the width of my garden and would like some advice on how to deal with this problem please. I understand that they have had a terrible life so far.
    Thanks in advance

2. Amigo

Amigo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Your house!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Thats a funny hen, over time, she will become sweet, as long as you keep her happy. [​IMG]

3. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! Sorry to hear about your crabby chicken. Is it possible that a little more time will sort things out?

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I think they will mellow with time but personally I'd take some sort of action. Try pinching the back of the neck/head and holding the hen down. This is a way of showing dominance without hurting the chicken. You'll get a lot of disagreement from the hen and it might not even work unless you do it immediately upon being pecked and are consistent about it. The idea is to hold it to the ground this way till they relax, then let go.

Or just wait. As I said, time may be the best thing to give them. They've had it bad and they reacted with anger. Who can blame them? But with a better life, maybe they'll calm down eventually.

5. Symphony

Symphony Vanilla, Little Airt Airt

[​IMG]

6. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. sjt345

sjt345 New Egg

Sep 7, 2011
    Thank you for welcoming me to the forum. I will try being a bit more dominant with her and see if that helps!

9. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Hi, from Big Bear Calif, always good to meet another feather brainier. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG]
    Sorry to hear you're having a rough time with the new rescues. I would give them a couple wks or so to see if they calm down; if not, I'd be getting the crock pot out...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by