Aggressive Hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PAchickengirl, Nov 19, 2012.

1. PAchickengirl

PAchickengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    One of my golden laced wyandottes was being very aggressive today. She is definitely the gal that's in charge, but this seemed to be more than just a warning peck. She sort of grabbed one of the BA's by the neck. A little later I was nearby, cleaning the coop, when I heard a bit of a ruckus. I turned around to find her standing, literally, on top of one of my barred rocks. Her feet were planted right in the middle of her back. This hen looks exactly like my other female GLW and nothing like my friend's GLW roo, so I don't think it was a case of trying to mount for mating. This particular hen also tries to peck at my son when they are on the roost and he is petting any of the hens near her. The other day she grabbed a hold of his sweatshirt. (More than a peck.) is this behavior out of the norm, or nothing to be concerned about? I don't want any of my girls getting injured by a bully!

2. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I looked at your pics, she does seem to be a girl. But, that's definitely mating behavior. Wonder how she learned that?

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It's a dominance thing. She either is or wants to be top girl and she's making sure everyone knows it. Pecking and attacking humans is unacceptable though. You must take her in hand before she causes an injury to you or your son and if she hurts one of your other chickens or carries on with this behaviour too long it may be time to remove her from the flock for a bit and let her cool down.

4. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

I had 2 top hens that did this but never attacked me, because there is no rooster they feel the need to fill that hole in the social chicken structure, as soon as i got my RIR rooster all has stopped or its very rare. I'm not saying you have to get a rooster but as sumi said if she attacks you or you son pick her up and separate her for the night or a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by