Aggressive hens?

This is odd, the three year olds don’t ever chase the chickens or fight back?My little sister has the chickens feared of her!But this definitely sounds like curiosity. Never had an adult bird go for my eyes but I guess it happens.

Chickens have been shown to be able to recognize up to 100 familiar faces.

Even if you aren't hand feeding... don't bring the treats with you. If they fly up and the treats get thrown down.. it's self reciprocating/rewarding behavior.

Make the entrance, let everyone calm down. Keep any treats or container out of sight, out of mind.

You always need to protect your eyes and face from a chicken. Even a pet chicken. Penelope pecks our teeth if we talk. Chickens peck to inspect things. They are curious animals by nature, and obviously felt secure enough (thanks to your guidance) to be around this little creature that you (their trusted keeper) seem to indicate is also safe. Even my top hen that crows doesn't attack people or kids, but I do see new stuff everyday.

How old are these chickens?

Wow, a wolf ate only one chicken at night?? Glad the others were safe!
They're about 8-9 months old. That one chicken was roosting on the fence line for some reason, and the fox snatched it. Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom