aggressive magpies stealing eggs - help

arcycarr2

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2018
I have four brown leghorn hens in a small very sturdy coop and small wired in pen. The hens free range in daylight hours, but I have magpies who boldly walk through the open door to the pen and right into the coop to steal the eggs. Has anyone had success in getting rid of this problem. I was trying to think of a plastic funnel shape bowl of some sort that would fit into a nesting box and the egg would roll down and into the straw below, but don't know how to find such a container or how to fit into the nesting box.

I have four brown leghorn hens in a small very sturdy coop and small wired in pen. The hens free range in daylight hours, but I have magpies who boldly walk through the open door to the pen and right into the coop to steal the eggs. Has anyone had success in getting rid of this problem. I was trying to think of a plastic funnel shape bowl of some sort that would fit into a nesting box and the egg would roll down and into the straw below, but don't know how to find such a container or how to fit into the nesting box.
Maybe try something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Mouth...keywords=canning+funnel&qid=1617826651&sr=8-3

I have the same problem but in a larger space. All I can suggest is make new nests that do t look like good targets but the hens like. I use chick boxes in the dark corners and litter containers with shavings and it cats down on predation when the hens lay there instead

Maybe you could place in some 'decoy' eggs filled with something nasty (mustard?). I know it stops chickens from eating eggs, so maybe if the magpies get a taste of it they won't try again? Just make sure it's something safe, in case any of your birds get into it.

I think what you might want is a roll out nest.
Search here and on google, lots of them out there both commercial and DIY.

Magpies, hmmmm...are yo in the US?
Might want to try a strip door on the coop.
Strips of plastic that the chickens can be taught to go thru but most pest birds will not.

I think what you might want is a roll out nest.
Search here and on google, lots of them out there both commercial and DIY.

Magpies, hmmmm...are yo in the US?
Might want to try a strip door on the coop.
Strips of plastic that the chickens can be taught to go thru but most pest birds will not.
We are in Wyoming - USA I'll check out the ideas you gave me - thanks

Back
Top Bottom