Aggressive Male Ringneck Dove

bostiel

Hatching
Jul 31, 2019
Hello! I have a male Ringneck dove named Finn. I’ve had him for 4 1/2 months and he is still a little cautious around me. Up until now, he had never pecked at my hands or slapped me with his wings. His temperament is very calm, albeit he is quite wary of me still. However, last night when I went to put him back into his cage, he started pecking at my hand. At first I thought it was funny, it didn’t hurt and I thought he was playing. I put him to bed and thought that was that. Well this morning when I was giving him fresh water, he started slapping me with his wings and pecking my hands while cackling like some crappy super villain. I could really use some help, I honestly don’t know what to do. I’ve left him alone for a few hours and tried approaching him with slow movements but he still shows extreme signs of aggression.
Please help!!

Hello! I have a male Ringneck dove named Finn. I’ve had him for 4 1/2 months and he is still a little cautious around me. Up until now, he had never pecked at my hands or slapped me with his wings. His temperament is very calm, albeit he is quite wary of me still. However, last night when I went to put him back into his cage, he started pecking at my hand. At first I thought it was funny, it didn’t hurt and I thought he was playing. I put him to bed and thought that was that. Well this morning when I was giving him fresh water, he started slapping me with his wings and pecking my hands while cackling like some crappy super villain. I could really use some help, I honestly don’t know what to do. I’ve left him alone for a few hours and tried approaching him with slow movements but he still shows extreme signs of aggression.
Please help!!
:welcome I'm sure someone who knows Ringnecks will chime in with some advice for you. I have homing pigeons and I can say this behavior is something very commonly seen as males mature. I suspect Finn is starting to feel 'macho' enough to defend his territory. :)

Doves greet every new dove they meet that way. Males will respond by fighting, and females won't. It's basically how they determine whether another bird is friend or foe (males hate each other.) Your bird, kept alone, is transferring its natural behavior onto you, and determining whether you will make an adequate mate or if you are a rival. If you ignore it and just go along, he will soon calm down and become affectionate and decide to settle down with you. These birds are monogamous and if you keep just one, it will usually act like this and eventually come to think of the owner as its mate.

I keep and breed ring neck doves.

Your dove 'pecking' you might be it is trying to actually 'kiss' your hand. A pair of doves will grab hold of each others beaks and feed each other as part of the courtship behaviour and it can look quite rough.

The creepy sound is also part of this display. The male will coo a lot, then give a series of that creepy laughing sound.... its their 'song'.

The wing slapping is defensive behaviour though. It means he is territorial of his perch or cage and he is just telling you to give him a little space at that time.

For my birds their cage is their home and I don't touch or pet them in there... it's their 'safe space'.

The male ringnecks in my flock , the alpha male and father of most of the additional generations has become rather aggressive to my other males. He has often gone after the "teenage" males that are a direct threat to his position at the top of the pecking order...literally.

The male ringnecks in my flock , the alpha male and father of most of the additional generations has become rather aggressive to my other males. He has often gone after the "teenage" males that are a direct threat to his position at the top of the pecking order...literally.

Adult ring neck doves should always be kept in pairs. They are territorial and don't like to live in groups... not like the social racing or fancy pigeons.

Sometimes they will very badly injure each other if you keep them in a group as adults, and the stress on the birds lower down the pecking order will eventually lead to them becoming sick or even dying.

The only way to keep them successfully and peacefully in groups is if you have a HUGE aviary.

Please help!!
Male ring neck doves, and male doves in general are a little bit more territorial than females. But, I don’t think your dove is reacting with agessiveness, but rather with a little bit a fear. His cage his is safe place, and he’s not used to being around you. So he will peck you to ask you to leave him be. Although, if he pecks you lightly he’s showing affection. If he pecks you hard, he’s asking you to leave him be, or stop what your doing. He should get used you your presence first, before you try to do anything with him. Maybe try watching your dove while he’s in his cage for 40 minutes or more every day, for a few days. This will help your dove get used to your presence, and no longer view you as a threat. After that, let him outside of his cage and set him down on a table, and sit in a chair right next to the table. Don’t make any sudden moves, and try to be relaxed. Your dove will either stay still and watch you, or they’ll come closer. If they come closer, stay still and let the dove know that your not a threat. If they stay still and watch you, that means that there being a bit cautious. Let the dove come to you when it feels ready. You want to let the dove know that nothing bad is gonna happened when the dove is next to you. Once the dove has come closer to you, it is alright with your presence. Once the dove has gotten used to you, then you want the dove to get used to your hand. Place him on an table, and sit in a chair next to him again. Then, place your hand next to your dove. Don’t touch him yet. Let your dove come closer when he wants to. At some point, he will come on your hand. When he does, congratulations!!! You’ve officially tamed him!! After he’s sat on your finger or hand, then comes the part where you can pet him. Only pet him with one or two fingers at first. Get your doves attention by putting your finger(s) to where he sees them. After your dove has looked at them, then gently and slowly start petting your dove on the chest. If he doesn’t like it, pull away your finger(s) and try again later when he’s calm. Taming a dove is not something that happenes over night. It will take a awhile for him to come closer to you. It will take even more time for him to get on your finger/hand. And a bit more time for him to let you pet him. It may take a few days or weeks or longer. You have to be patient and gentle with your dove. For me personally, it took me about a week to tame my diamond doves and cockatiels. But, it’s different for everyone. You can tell when your dove is most comfortable around you, when he is next to you, and when he puffs up all his feather to where he looks really fluffy and cute! I hope this helps!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom