"aggressive" minpin! story . . . reader beware

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by fallenweeble, Jan 5, 2008.

1. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    because i have the time and space to do it i do a bit (okay, i'm a little obsessed) of rescue work with companion animals. i try to stick to avian rescue but my partner loves little dogs so we typically have several little foster dogs around our home.
    well . . . here's the story on our latest foster.

she was dumped on CHRISTMAS at a vet's office in the san fernando valley. she'd been hit by a car and was bleeding from her mouth. apparently her owners didn't want to pay for the vet care so they did not come back for her. the vet, in turn, took her to the local shelter after she was stable . . .
    fortunately she has no broken bones but her front left foot is very sore.
    on top of everything else this little girl, it appears, was born with almost no bottom mandible! she has the most severe underbite (or would that be overbite? hmmmmm) that my vet has ever seen. somehow she learned how to eat with the mouth that she has but it's pretty amazing!
    this little thing weighs all of seven pounds!
    at the shelter she was labeled "aggressive" because she would bark and or growl at all the scary people who kept "doing" things to her (vet tech who were trying their best to help but who had to cause her some discomfort in order to medically treat her.)
    a call went out to local rescues to pull this little girl and so we went and got her. in order to pull her out we had to sign a paper saying that we understood that she was an "aggressive" dog. we've done this many times before and it's no big deal. what's funny is that she doesn't really have an aggressive bone in her body! my vet just laughed when i told him about it. on top of not being an aggressive dog, he noted that it would be nearly impossible for her to actually bite anyone because of her defect!
    anywhoo, here are some pics of pickles the killer minpin. view them at your own risk!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    okay, so try not to have nightmares about the utterly terrifying miss pickles!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  2. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    poor puppy

3. Gracie_Chickie

Gracie_Chickie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2007
    Indiana
    I'm shakin' she's soooo scary! LOL I'm glad she has found you! Are you going to keep her, or just foster her until she can be adopted out?

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    what a total cutie pie. those fabulous ears and eyes - priceless! thank you ever so much for helping her - poor baby can maybe finally see what it's like to be loved.

it's upsetting to read about these "aggressive" labels because such a label inappropriately given can often mean a death sentence for a wonderful being. maybe the shelter can learn from you of their error. geez louise - the poor thing was really hurting and scared - what the heck did they expect?! hardly the circumstance under which to judge behavior.

thank you [​IMG]
    jj

5. Itsme

Itsme Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    NW Wisconsin
    That top picture is awesome!
    Bless your heart for the care that you provide for all your foster babies! (((fallenweeble and partner)))

Will you keep Pickles? [​IMG]

6. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    Awwww, God Bless you for taking that lil puppy. Are ya'll gonna keep it for good or are you just fostering it?

7. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    Awwwww she is the most perfect lil pup there is !! with the right owners to love her and spoil her " that defect " will make her more speacil to them. I would adopt her in a second!!

A few years back my mom was looking for a little house dog to keep her company - so me and DH went to the shelter and saw a little chihuha ( sp ) and he was all huddled in the back scared out of his little mind - I asked how much to take him home - the lady said free since he was going to either be put down or not live that long since he was an older dog- So me and DH took him home gave him food , a bath , cleaned his teeth ( which were nasty and smelled ) cleaned his ears trimmed his nails and drove the 4-5 hours to take him to my mom. Well she loved him right away my dad was like " its to small to be called a dog "
    anyway they took him to the vet had him fixed , found out he had two rotten teeth and at the time was about 5 years old - well mom has had that dog for awhile now and he is the ripe old age of 11 !!

I love those shelter dogs LOL

Julie

8. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Julie - That's such a wonderful story - thank you [​IMG]
    JJ

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Cool!!!

10. Redfeathers