Aggressive Older Chickens

KristenF87

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 5, 2009
Gainesville
Our two older chicks (one EE and one RIR) are about 4 months old and have been in their coop for a while. Our younger four (2 more EE's and 2 silkies) are about 2 months old and have been in their brooder until a few days ago. We were quite worried about introducing them and we were apparently right to worry. The older two are being big bullies! They herd the smaller chicks either into a corner or up into a nesting box and guard them there (often times away from their food and water). If one of the babies tries to make a run for it, they get pecked and clucked at and herded back to the corner. I know this is just them establishing the pecking order but how long will this last?

They have two regular waterers and two feeders plus two extra hamster-style waterers hung in 2 corners of the coop. They have a decent amount of space (about 57 square ft plus their nesting boxes and the space on top of their nesting boxes). We plan on expanding the coop after we move but I read that each chicken needs about 10sq ft so I figure we're close to adequate size for six chickies (two of them bantams).

Anyway, any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Our little ones look terrified and I hate to see them being abused
sad.png

Hello, I had similar problems with mine. You may need to keep them separated until they are a little bigger. Is there a pen or something that divides the space that they can still see each other but still be separated? I had to wait until the little ones were bigger. Maybe someone else has some better suggestions.

I bought a large metal dog crate and put the smaller ones in it and put it in the coop for a couple of days. Maybe they should go back in there... I don't know. I don't want to put them back in it and then start this pecking order process all over again when I take them out
sad.png

I would hate to start that all over again too. Are there little hiding places that they can hide in that the bigger ones can't get to them? Mine were able to fit in a small area under the coop when my bigger ones caught an attitude. Someone on here also suggested a water spray bottle. When they would go to attack, they would get spritzed. They said it worked after a while. I know I don't have that much time available to sit there all day, but maybe they will catch the hint sooner? Good Luck!

I'm thinking if you could make a barrier out of some pallets or something that the little ones can easily get through, and provide food and water in that area, perhaps the older girls will eventually get tired of standing guard.

A safe place for them is a good idea, I'm just having trouble thinking of something the younger EE's could fit through that the older ones can't. They're not too much smaller than the older ones. The silkies on the other hand are still tiny! (so cute). I'll try to rig up something. Thanks, guys
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom