Aggressive pullet in time out questions.

mowin

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 17, 2018
Upstate NY
I've got a BR that is not the alpha, but think she's one notch from the bottom, as she's attacking one pullet constantly who I believe is on the bottom rung of the ladder.

I put a large dog crate in the run with straw, food and water. Should I let her lay in there, or let her out first thing in the morning to lay, if she even will because she's not happy in the crate. Pinless peepers have been ordered, and hopefully they help.

Attachments

• IMG_20190902_093550342.jpg
    IMG_20190902_093550342.jpg
    704.1 KB · Views: 11
Personally I'd be surprised if she ate the egg unless she is already an egg eater. Trapped in there she might accidentally break but walking on it and then eat it, but she won't eat the egg out of spite.

I'd leave her in the crate and let her lay there if she does. A hen releases the yolk to start the egg making process about 25 hours before the egg is actually laid. If she started that egg it will be laid. Whether she starts the next one or not is the question.

Not all hens lay first thing every morning. Some will lay early like that but laying an egg is a trigger for the hen to release the next yolk to start the process. That 25 hours is an approximation, it can be less than 24 or it can be more than 26, but it's fairly typical that a hen will lay a bit later every day until she skips a day and starts back in the morning. Letting her out in the morning does not mean she will soon lay an egg.

Personally I'd leave her in there for a couple of days at least. I've had some success in adjusting a chicken's attitude by isolating it, but it does not always work. Good luck!

So should I keep her locked up overnight? Or let her roost with the others?

At least my RIR is coming out of the coop and foraging around. She is definitely keeping her distance from the crate tho.

If there is room to put the crate in the coop, I think that would be the best bet. Otherwise she will attack the other chicken before sleep and after waking, before you get her separated.

Couldn't put the crate in the coop without dismantling the crate. Put a tarp over top. Alarm set for "way before" I would normally get up and open pop door, I'll take tarp off at the same time.

Few times I went out to the coop/run since the aggressor has been in captivity, has been positive.

Pullet dust bathing within a foot of the aggressor crate.

Aggressor not happy and somehow broke zip ties dumping food and water.

Back
Top Bottom