Aggressive Pullet

mstakes

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2016
First time chicken keeper here. I got into a chicken fight with my 20 week old barred rock pullet today. I let her and the other pullets out of their run this morning and she "attacked" me. I ended up thumping her in the chest several times because she kept coming at me. After trading several blows she jumped, kicked me and retreated to the bushes. Later in the day she was back to her normal self. Since we bought her as a day old chick she has been nothing but sweet. Hopefully she remains sweet.

Could this behavior be an indication of hormone changes and the beginning of laying?

Last edited:
First time chicken keeper here. I got into a chicken fight with my 20 week old barred rock pullet today. I let her and the other pullets out of their run this morning and she "attacked" me. I ended up thumping her in the chest several times because she kept coming at me. After trading several blows she jumped, kicked me and retreated to the bushes. Later in the day she was back to her normal self. Since we bought her as a day old chick she has been nothing but sweet. Hopefully she remains sweet.

Could this behavior be an indication of hormone changes and the beginning of laying?

Are you positively sure that it is a pullet?
Do you have any roosters?

If you don't have any roosters....

Is she the dominant bird?

Just in case, post a photo of her at "what breed or gender is this." to make sure she isn't a roo. If she isn't, she must have gotten up on the wrong side of the roost.

For sure a pullet. We got rid of a rooster, so are confident from watching them grow up together. The difference in the two was dramatic.

She is the dominant of the 3 birds. The other two do not challenge her, they just gave her the throne. She was/is the most enjoyable, engaging of them all.

I'm not too concerned about the behavior, I'm just hoping this may be a sign of eggs in the near future.

For sure a pullet. We got rid of a rooster, so are confident from watching them grow up together. The difference in the two was dramatic.

She is the dominant of the 3 birds. The other two do not challenge her, they just gave her the throne. She was/is the most enjoyable, engaging of them all.

I'm not too concerned about the behavior, I'm just hoping this may be a sign of eggs in the near future.

Sometimes if there is no rooster the dominant hen will take over the position, she will protect the other hens. I've even heard of instances of them making a sort of crowing noise! I'm guessing that your hen may just be taking of the role.

There was a time period of a month where I didn't have a rooster. My biggest hen, Nancy, took over. She got a bit aggressive, but I got a rooster and she mellowed out.

That makes sense. We can't have a rooster. But dealing with a dominant hen is probably better than dealing with a rooster.

That makes sense. We can't have a rooster. But dealing with a dominant hen is probably better than dealing with a rooster.

Not necessarily. Unless you are talking about the crowing which can be solved by a No Crow Collar.

My dominant hen is more aggressive to me then any of my roosters. She also is aggressive towards chicks and younger birds

My HOA was generous enough to give me a variance so I could keep hens. They specifically prohibited me from keeping a rooster.

I hope she calms down, but either way we will survive.

My HOA was generous enough to give me a variance so I could keep hens. They specifically prohibited me from keeping a rooster.

I hope she calms down, but either way we will survive.
You should probably grab her and pin her down, pecking her head and pulling at her neck feathers with your finger tips, until she submits.
I wouldn't advise doing this with a male but I've done it to a pullet successfully...took a couple go rounds, but she got the message.

No need to attack your hen for being bossy. Stand up to her and chase her off as soon as she comes towards you. Your top hen, not her. they quickly learn pecking order. Your being hen pecked by a dominant hen. Keep her moving away from you the entire time your in the chickens area. She will get it....

Back
Top Bottom