Aggressive Quail

Soph_quail

Chirping
Jun 27, 2020
I currently own a selection of coturnix quail in 4 separate cages but I’ve noticed a few of them are aggressive - not to eachother but to people. We had a female that really likes to bite you when you get anywhere near her and since then have hatched both a male and a female that do the same and even go as far to climb out of their cage to attack you. This isn’t really an issue cuz it doesn’t hurt obviously but I just wondered why?? The Male became aggressive as soon as he got his own females so I’m assuming it’s a territorial thing. However this other female has recently been moved into a new cage with 4 other birds (3 female and 1 Male) and has literally just in the last hour become incredibly aggressive towards us and also to the other females to an extent. I just wonder why? We took precautions when introducing them. We let them see eachother for a few weeks but not be able to touch eachother and it seemed to be going well so we introduced them in a new pen with lots of hiding spots. But today she has become aggressive towards us and other females (one of which she shared a cage with before the merge of the two groups!) is this normal? Should I be concerned? And what would cause her to suddenly turn aggressive after 10 weeks of being nice? Any advice would be great!

Each bird has its own personality. It could be that they're upset at the new arrangements, it could be that they've reached full maturity, it could be something else in the environment.

I wouldn't breed any of the aggressive ones.

Back
Top Bottom