aggressive quail.

lucasbobwhite

Hatching
May 19, 2015
Hello I recently bought bobwhite quails they're only about 2 weeks old and they've turned aggressive at each other pecking each others toes and eyes I'm worried the ones that got pecked in the eyes are gonna be blind (can't tell if they are or just scabbed over) they're are about 130 of them I've been giving them high protein feed and broccoli etc so it's not a food thing. Maybe it's space? I'm using a really huge tub prob 4 ft by 4 ft if not a little bigger, I decided to start making a larger pen to see if that helps but I need advice if that's not the reason what is?

Yes, this is a space problem. Bobs are very susceptable to killing each other over space. Chicks need 1 square foot at this age EACH. 2 square feet by 3 to 4 weeks of age. By the time they are ready for to go outside, they will need 3 square feet each. When they reach 6 months of age, they will need 4 square foot per bird. Bobwhites are an aggressive species of quail.

Next year when they become mature and are breeding they will need to be paired of one male to one female. The mate for life and each pair will need to be kept separate during breeding season. Fall through winter you can mix them all back up for the winter covey. Just remember who goes with who each breeding season there after.

Thanks I'm working on a bigger space, also do u know how to tell if the chicks are permanently blind? Or are they just scabbed or can u not tell without waiting?

If you reach down to grab one and it panics and runs, chances are it can see. If they have wounded eyes and are scabbed over, they probably don't see very well right now. Time will tell.

I built them a new pen around 12 ft long and 4 ft wide. I think this gives them more room not sure how much they'll need, but I found one today that had been pecked not sure if it happened before or after new pen

Back
Top Bottom