Aggressive Roo

Cheska

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 26, 2012
Hi all, you've been wonderful and I'm on this forum all the time. However, this is the first time I've posted in probably over 6 months, and it has to do with the same reason I originally posted: My rooster.

Over the last two weeks or so, my roo has been displaying some aggression. He's a few months past a year old, and so I know it's not just figuring out his place. I thought he thumped my foot a few weeks ago, I chased him around the yard with a stick, he fled from me the whole time. I thought that was the end of it.

However, today, I walked out there and all my chickens were out and about. My hens came running over as they always do, looking for handouts. Then all of a sudden, the big white monster was there. And he had a very different feeling about him. He attacked my foot, I turned and kicked out at him, and then my small Pomeranian walked by him. He's always been amiable and ignored the dog, but today he spurred him in the side. Thus began the 10 minute fight I had with the rooster, culminating in me having to grab for a large stick and smack him hard a few times just to get him away. He immediately turned on the stick, as aggressive as could be. I finally got him back into the coop, but I'm really shaken up. He could've seriously hurt me or my dogs, and honestly, in that case, this post would be moot because I'd be eating chicken for dinner.

Honestly, I wasn't having any second thoughts until my father talked to me later and said that I was being cruel just for slating him for the cull tomorrow, just based on his actions today. Dad seems to think I can train him or get him to respect me, but I think that once he's lost the fear of humans that there's no retraining possible. Plus, they're not bright birds, it's not like training a dog. Any advice? Support? I have a friend coming over to take care of him tomorrow because I can't do it myself, I raised him from 2 days old and I just don't have the stomach for it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

*personally* he's a cull bird. 99% of all the aggressive roosters on here are roosters 'I raised from 2 days old and be devistated to take him away from the birds he knew from a baby D:' (not mocking you, in case it came off that way xD )
Those roosters don't learn manners. They aren't raised with other roosters or hens, don't know proper rooster etiquette, their like little 4 or 5 year old boys. The hens their raised with dont know to discipline them or that they are being too aggressive, since they fear them usually or are laid back or just don't care.
That said, these roosters aren't *all* bad, just that seems to be the typical case of the roosters on here.

Anywho, these rooster can't hurt you. Remember that. If you want to save him, remember that this rooster cannot cause much damage to you. Maybe a cut or too, but he's not very old is he? How big is he? He couldn't possibly have large spurs. I had a turkey bite 2 of my fingers and pull, and all that happened was a small cut. He. Can't. Hurt. You. If you fear him he'll know and take advantage of it, immediately.
That said, if he's like a deleware or brahma, he could kill your dogs. So keep your dogs locked up, until you have him trained.

Any sign of aggression or showing he's dominant, hit him with a stick. Mating, crowing (that can be 'corrected' with crowing back, though), courting hens, a attacking you, any thing, hit him with a stick. Not hard, but if he's mating a hen, kick him off. He crows you crow. He courts a hen run him to him and tap him with your boot to just shove him. He attacks you, kick him, and make him fly. Chickens don't kill that easily, we had an aggressive drake and I'd throw him by his neck! (Granite I was young and stupid! LOL) ok so not much hitting with a stick, but make sure he doesn't show any agressive or dominant traits in front of you.

Just parroting what I've been told, best of luck

I don't mind having to cull him, I'm just saying that I can't do it personally. And he's a BIG rooster. He stands as high as my hip, I'm 5'3", I was told he was an EE, but honestly, most people look at him and say there's no way, he's a Leghorn.

As for all the things you've said besides crowing back at him, I've done since he started them. Knocking him off hens, hitting him with a stick when he acts aggressive, but today was a whole new level. Two of my hens don't tolerate him at ALL, they knock the stuffing out of him if he tries to breed them, but he just seems overly aggressive. Today was the first time he's really shown that he's not scared of me though, which is not a good change. He always used to run from me, but today he squared off to me each time I even looked at him.

I am not a chicken/rooster expert... But I am an ER nurse;) and I have seen some nasty cuts and resulting infections from being "attacked" by a rooster... So forgive me for butting in, but they actually CAN hurt you...

sorry...

edited to say that I would have a hard time culling anything myself and I totally understand how you feel... and I guess it depends on your definition of "hurt" you. My pocket book would hurt right now if I had to pay for suturing and antibiotics;)

Last edited:
He's a cull rooster for sure. You're not being cruel. You did try to resolve this, but the rooster keeps coming.

If you cant do the deed yourself, put him on Craigslist and state specifically that he's too aggressive and needs a home in a stew pot. Someone will come get him.

As far as hurting you--I've seen people with scars on their calves from a rooster, and know a guy who almost lost his eye to a rooster attack when he was five. He still has a scar on his face next to his eye.

Last edited:
Roosters can be VERY aggressive and sometimes that's in their nature. You can always, like WalkingOnSunshine said, put him on Craigslist. Or tie him up in a bow and give him to another farm for homemade dinner (just joking with you here:D). I say just get rid of him- the sooner the better.

Cull him.

I had a tiny little bantam cochin rooster, sweetest guy until a year and a half, then he decided he was the boss of me. I took exception to that and we went round and round. I kept him lot longer than I should have, because he was so small and I really liked him. I went in one day in shorts and came out with the crap scratched out of my legs, honey saw that and next day the roo was gone. I'm very comfortable asserting my dominance, raised around horses, and couldn't get this little roo to yield to me. I say why keep him? Have your friend dispatch him. If you really want a rooster, look for another one. Or enjoy a male-free flock for a while.

Thanks guys, I needed to hear it from people more experienced with chickens than myself, this is still my first flock. My friend's coming over to cull him at 2, she says he'll be too tough to eat, but I figure I'll cook him up and give my dogs a nice treat tonight, especially my spurred Pomeranian. =) Sucks, but it's gotta be done. I'm looking forward to a roo free flock.

Thanks guys, I needed to hear it from people more experienced with chickens than myself, this is still my first flock. My friend's coming over to cull him at 2, she says he'll be too tough to eat, but I figure I'll cook him up and give my dogs a nice treat tonight, especially my spurred Pomeranian. =) Sucks, but it's gotta be done. I'm looking forward to a roo free flock.

You can still eat him. Let the carcass rest for three days first for the muscles to relax, then make a stewed dish with him and/or use him for making stock. Here's a good one to get you started. http://sunstonefarmandlearn.com/2009/10/25/favorite-rooster-recipes-coq-au-vin/

Remember, with older birds, cook low and slow. Too good for dogs.

Last edited:
It's more along the lines of, I don't think I can eat him. But I'll copy the recipe, maybe I'll give him to my parents for dinner or something. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom