Aggressive rooster at 2 months old?

Human aggressive behavior is genetic, you don't want to keep that around, not even for breeding. Early aggression showers, are usually the worst ones. I'd turn him into soup once large enough.

I've had chicks go through phases, that would involve chest bumping, & kicking my hand. More like play fight behavior. They ended up growing into big babies. No biting, or continued attack. Just the occasional play fight.

When you have a young cockerel already attacking you, he needs to last just long enough to be dinner for somebody! This is genetic, and will only get worse, and more dangerous. Once we had a bantam boy who started attacking me at eight weeks of age, and it didn't get better. Don't think that he will mellow out, or get better.
Mary

When you have a young cockerel already attacking you, he needs to last just long enough to be dinner for somebody! This is genetic, and will only get worse, and more dangerous. Once we had a bantam boy who started attacking me at eight weeks of age, and it didn't get better. Don't think that he will mellow out, or get better.
Mary
Yeah, and we've found a few tricks for now to just insure he isn't aggressive. Since I get in there to dump their pool, I have the shower sprayer on when I walk in and he steers clear. Then, carrying the clean pool back inside, he is afraid of it so he gets back for that, too. My husband has been closing their pop door so he can gather eggs.

I just want new hatchlings some day and this is my only option since I don't really want to go through the whole brooder box in the house and pasty butt thing again. But, again, if he draws blood, I'm sure he'll be dealt with and then we will have some fried chicken or something. And you don't know how hard that is for me to even talk about. I am not a person to just get rid of critters at all. I will do my best to not do that.

Is there any such thing as a natural chicken sedative? :p

My kids are over 5 months old now. He and two girls are RIRs and all the others are BRs. The RIR girls have become way more affectionate in the last month or so and he doesn't even try to get between them and me when they come up. It's usually when I go in to dump and clean their pool or check food and water. He gets all uppity with my husband when he goes in for eggs.

I wanted a rooster so that we could have more chicks in the future, but now, I don't know if he'll be around that long.
I have a 6 mo old RIR cockerel....he has gotten physical a few times but I have the best luck turning the tables on him and chasing him around until he gets the picture. Now most of the time he gives me a wide berth when he sees me coming but on occasion he will try the sneak attack. When I turn around he runs and decides against that approach. He is really becoming quite a good protector and provider so as long as he keeps his distance from me and my wife he can stay around. Best of luck!

Yeah, and we've found a few tricks for now to just insure he isn't aggressive. Since I get in there to dump their pool, I have the shower sprayer on when I walk in and he steers clear. Then, carrying the clean pool back inside, he is afraid of it so he gets back for that, too. My husband has been closing their pop door so he can gather eggs.

I just want new hatchlings some day and this is my only option since I don't really want to go through the whole brooder box in the house and pasty butt thing again. But, again, if he draws blood, I'm sure he'll be dealt with and then we will have some fried chicken or something. And you don't know how hard that is for me to even talk about. I am not a person to just get rid of critters at all. I will do my best to not do that.

Is there any such thing as a natural chicken sedative? :p
That may work for you and your husband but hers lived inside at some point and probably still does

That may work for you and your husband but hers lived inside at some point and probably still does
Yeah, we had them inside for a few weeks when they first hatched and brought them home, but MAN! The dust, alone, is enough to never want babies in the house again. I actually took a whole week's vacation just to deal with pasty butt and other things. Lol.

Yeah, we had them inside for a few weeks when they first hatched and brought them home, but MAN! The dust, alone, is enough to never want babies in the house again. I actually took a whole week's vacation just to deal with pasty butt and other things. Lol.
The op has made no comments since she made this thread.Can't help but wonder what she's going thru with a cockerel thats aggressive in the house.

Back
Top Bottom