Aggressive Rooster Help Please

I do think that is a very important issue, the enjoyment of the flock. And a rooster can ruin it. The first rooster, that one has to cull, is the hardest, but YOUR WHOLE flock is going to relax, and it will be fun to go out there, talk to them and look for treasures (eggs) again.

While I am a believer, that experienced people seldom have trouble with a rooster, they also tend not to tolerate a rooster like this. Once you have a great rooster, you never waste time with a rotten one. I really hesitate to go with the human guilt aspect, as in it is something the human is doing that is causing the problem. Some birds, and in my opinion, this is one, that they are a dangerous animal, and if they don't get you this time, they are willing to try again the next time.

For a long time, I was of a pretty strong opinion, that a rooster chick raised with flock mates, nearly always became the nightmare. This chick will be brave and step forward, appearing to be friendly to the people, he is a darling, often held, often petted. While this works well with kitten and puppies, it does not work with roosters. They loose all respect for people, all fear of people, and often times become more aggressive as the hormones kick in. This bird is rapidly the biggest bird in the flock, becomes sexually mature much sooner than the pullets, and can run them ragged.

A rooster raised in a mature flock, those older birds teach some manners, the rooster chick is smaller, and learns respect as he is growing up. Almost always, there are multiple rooster chicks, and eventually they are thinned out to the best rooster. One does not keep an aggressive rooster if there is a choice between roosters.

But while I think the above is valid, to a point. I am not pretty convinced that there are some birds, that just are not going to work in a smaller set up, some birds are not going to work in a larger set up. Their brain is very small, not much to work with, cull and move on.

Mrs K

I’m happy to report that an experienced chicken keeper who runs a poultry rescue centre has offered to give Pingu a good new home (he can stay there). I have fully disclosed all details about him and his behaviour and the man who has offered to take him has a lot more experience than us and is well-reputed in the ‘chicken keeping world’. I would be reluctant to pass an aggressive roo on to just any home for obvious reasons but this seems like a good outcome. The men in our family were not impressed with the idea of anybody culling him (but unless they want to do all the chicken chores they can be quiet about that!) but this solution meets with everyone’s approval.

Thanks again for all your input. I’m not sure if we will search for a more docile roo... having had two in a row who didn’t work out we might be better off without one, but look out for my next post which will undoubtedly be about how to manage hens bullying each other. :p

This is long, sorry, and I expect most of you will say to eat him but it's worth an ask. :p

Start of September 2020 we took on our rooster, Pingu. 3.5 months old, very good-natured with adults, children, cats and most importantly, the hens. He settled in really well and solved the issues we had with a very dominant hen causing havoc - since he arrived the flock has been very harmonious. We do not breed chickens and added another rooster to settle the flock, as it did, and also just to give one a home and because we enjoy keeping them.

From December through to April chickens here had to be confined indoors due to the bird flu epidemic. Over winter, Pingu once or twice half-heartedly went for one of my nieces. However, we gave him the benefit of the doubt as I think it was quite stressful for him, protecting his flock in an enclosed space. I worked with my niece on how to behave (ie. not backing away from him and being nervous, holding her ground whilst still being respectful of him and his role) and it stopped.

A little later he tried it with my Mum. She is their primary carer as the flock lives with my parents. She is 71 and quite sprightly for her age, but a little smaller than the rest of us (around 5'5") and not so bold. We were then able to take down the polytunnel and let them go outside again, a huge relief for all involved, and we thought this would solve the issue.

Fast forward to May and he will now try and attack my Mum everyday and has done for weeks. He will try it with me too. We have read various advice on the subject and worked really hard to stop it, but I'm at somewhat of a loss. He will never, ever try to attack men in our family and much of the time with me he is totally fine, then suddenly he will just change his mind and have a go - this is particularly noticeable if I have not been in there for a few days and I assume because he feels he gets the upper-hand with my Mum and then thinks he'll try it with me too. This morning my Mum went in and let them out, fed them, all fine and calm. She got to the orchard gate to come out and he jumped up behind her and attacked her legs.

So, what can we do, apart from cull him? I do think he deserves a chance... it is his first spring as a mature roo (and I heard a lot of roosters over here went a bit crazy lately) and he is really excellent with the hens and most people. However he is making my Mum afraid. My nieces actually emigrated so children don't go in there anymore, and I wouldn't allow it currently with his behaviour. When dealing with him we try to:

- be respectful of him and what he does, ie. not stomp about and intentionally get in his way, but to give an air of authority. We move at a sensible pace, don't make lots of noise and don't crowd him and the hens
- IF he approaches looking like he will attack then we stand tall, make ourselves look as big as possible. I generally then take a determined step towards him and stare him out and he will back off, but I am not sure my Mum is confident enough to do this
- we don't back away from him or let him think we are nervous
- we do not intentionally hit/kick or do anything to hurt him but we carry a stick and if he tries to attack, we hold this up so he is essentially just fighting the stick and we use it to push him away. He gives up and for the rest of your time in there will keep away, until you go in the next day and it starts over again!

He has 12 hens and loads of space. We culled our last rooster as he became aggressive with the hens (but was great with people!) and now we have the opposite problem and I feel pretty bad about the prospect of culling him... I am sure some of it is down to our management of him and so we'd like to work on that. Tonight my partner and I will take him off the perch at night and file his spurs blunt as a starting point.

Thanks very much for your thoughts.
There’s a great article on this forum from several years ago on how to deal with this issue. I am sorry that I don’t recall the gal’s name that posted it. I have used her method successfully many times, since I read it.
[I will try to re-cap; but please try to look for the original article. It was entitled something like ‘how to deal with an aggressive rooster’.]
Basically: you grab him by the legs (wear gloves if you want), hang him upside down. When he stops struggling, right him; still holding feet tightly in one hand. When he’s upright and calm and still in your hands...pet him! Rub and pet and talk to him, rub his wattles and comb, love him up and look him in the eye. If he freaks; swing him upside down again. Rub and be kind all over again. Repeat as needed to get him happy and calm; sitting quiet in your grasp. (Now YOU are dominant.) Now, here’s the tough part: do it each and every day!!! For up to two weeks, or even longer if necessary. Do this until that rooster is a pet with you and makes NO threatening moves at you! The repetition is very important! Some need a ‘refresher course’ but I have found these tough guys make the best flick protectors of all!
You can use this on dominating hens, if you have no roo, also.
It’s worth the work! Good luck!

This is long, sorry, and I expect most of you will say to eat him but it's worth an ask. :p

Start of September 2020 we took on our rooster, Pingu. 3.5 months old, very good-natured with adults, children, cats and most importantly, the hens. He settled in really well and solved the issues we had with a very dominant hen causing havoc - since he arrived the flock has been very harmonious. We do not breed chickens and added another rooster to settle the flock, as it did, and also just to give one a home and because we enjoy keeping them.

From December through to April chickens here had to be confined indoors due to the bird flu epidemic. Over winter, Pingu once or twice half-heartedly went for one of my nieces. However, we gave him the benefit of the doubt as I think it was quite stressful for him, protecting his flock in an enclosed space. I worked with my niece on how to behave (ie. not backing away from him and being nervous, holding her ground whilst still being respectful of him and his role) and it stopped.

A little later he tried it with my Mum. She is their primary carer as the flock lives with my parents. She is 71 and quite sprightly for her age, but a little smaller than the rest of us (around 5'5") and not so bold. We were then able to take down the polytunnel and let them go outside again, a huge relief for all involved, and we thought this would solve the issue.

Fast forward to May and he will now try and attack my Mum everyday and has done for weeks. He will try it with me too. We have read various advice on the subject and worked really hard to stop it, but I'm at somewhat of a loss. He will never, ever try to attack men in our family and much of the time with me he is totally fine, then suddenly he will just change his mind and have a go - this is particularly noticeable if I have not been in there for a few days and I assume because he feels he gets the upper-hand with my Mum and then thinks he'll try it with me too. This morning my Mum went in and let them out, fed them, all fine and calm. She got to the orchard gate to come out and he jumped up behind her and attacked her legs.

So, what can we do, apart from cull him? I do think he deserves a chance... it is his first spring as a mature roo (and I heard a lot of roosters over here went a bit crazy lately) and he is really excellent with the hens and most people. However he is making my Mum afraid. My nieces actually emigrated so children don't go in there anymore, and I wouldn't allow it currently with his behaviour. When dealing with him we try to:

- be respectful of him and what he does, ie. not stomp about and intentionally get in his way, but to give an air of authority. We move at a sensible pace, don't make lots of noise and don't crowd him and the hens
- IF he approaches looking like he will attack then we stand tall, make ourselves look as big as possible. I generally then take a determined step towards him and stare him out and he will back off, but I am not sure my Mum is confident enough to do this
- we do not intentionally hit/kick or do anything to hurt him but we carry a stick and if he tries to attack, we hold this up so he is essentially just fighting the stick and we use it to push him away. He gives up and for the rest of your time in there will keep away, until you go in the next day and it starts over again!

He has 12 hens and loads of space. We culled our last rooster as he became aggressive with the hens (but was great with people!) and now we have the opposite problem and I feel pretty bad about the prospect of culling him... I am sure some of it is down to our management of him and so we'd like to work on that. Tonight my partner and I will take him off the perch at night and file his spurs blunt as a starting point.

Hi..

For what it is worth…
what I would do with him may appear different but it works for me in so many ways…not only aggressive roosters. but hen bullies.
Pick him up from his roost as this may be the only way of catching him. Talk to him and be gentle stroking his comb etc. this will show him that you are not only more powerful, but loving. You will have to do this quite regularly .
Also admonish him when he does something wrong and a loud voice . I say UH UH UH UH. And walk behind the offending bird as though chasing him off. That noise you make can be made with any bird in your flock who isn’t behaving; what you are doing is illustrating you are the boss. He is not. I don’t make it easy for any bird who is misbehaving. I don’t threaten them with sticks or use any other force. Lie. I have sort of done what they do to each other and given the occasional slap/push. They forgive immediately , but again you have shown you are the boss. This is very important.
They feel safe, loved and will undoubtedly run to you if there is any trouble.

What I do is simple and for me it works. He may be a bird whose personality is made that way and impossible to train. But I would give it a go. So if he looks to be at all aggressive , your loud voice ….and anyone else can do the same …will remind him he is only second to humans.
My rooster knows from quite a distance when he is being told off, and stops in his tracks. Hens bullying too. What is amazing is that all the others don’t take a bit of notice at all. They appear to know they are not the ones my attention is being focused on! Clever things they are.
I hope you get your issue resolved happily!

I’m happy to report that an experienced chicken keeper who runs a poultry rescue centre has offered to give Pingu a good new home (he can stay there). I have fully disclosed all details about him and his behaviour and the man who has offered to take him has a lot more experience than us and is well-reputed in the ‘chicken keeping world’. I would be reluctant to pass an aggressive roo on to just any home for obvious reasons but this seems like a good outcome. The men in our family were not impressed with the idea of anybody culling him (but unless they want to do all the chicken chores they can be quiet about that!) but this solution meets with everyone’s approval.

Thanks again for all your input. I’m not sure if we will search for a more docile roo... having had two in a row who didn’t work out we might be better off without one, but look out for my next post which will undoubtedly be about how to manage hens bullying each other. :p
I completely agree. Was going to suggest today that instead of killing the kid, he could be sent to a shelter or chicken rescue centre.

Hi. I am certainly no expert on roosters but having had a few, I can tell you what has worked for us. We currently have two separate flocks of hens and 1 rooster each. One of our roosters gets aggressive and tries to attack us (myself and my husband). We considered freezer camp but, crazily, we still enjoy him and he is beautiful and good to his girls. We also have no children being put at risk, no chicks being hatched and his (large) yard is secure. So, I totally understand your wanting to keep your roo. However I think that your approach is wrong. You have to think like a rooster. You are trying to be respectful of him. That shows to us that you are a good and decent human being. But it shows your rooster that you are weak. You don't back away, good but not good enough. You don't ever hit him but just block him with a stick. Yikes, he is attacking you with no consequences. Your rooster is treating you as another member of his flock and is trying to dominate you. In the rooster brain there can only be one head honcho. In the rooster brain attacking/fighting is fun when there are no consequences. In a flock of chickens someone must be in charge and only one person can be the boss. You and your partner and your mother need to be the boss. Yes, that's more than one but all that matters is that your rooster knows that he is below all his humans. Chickens live by hierarchy. That said, you don't want to actually hurt your rooster. Our solution is a broom. Being somewhat chicken myself, (pun intended) I never enter their yard without the broom. Our rooster knows and respects the broom, just the sight of it keeps him at a healthy distance. My husband does not keep the broom with him so occasionally he gets attacked. When this happens he takes the broom and goes solidly after the rooster. He does NOT hurt the rooster! The sweeping bottom of the broom is not going to do any damage. But the rooster does not like it. Even with this approach, our rooster requires the very occasional reminder (say every few months) that attacks are not ok. And I would never turn my back on him, roosters like to attack from behind. But thanks to the broom, our rooster did not have to go to freezer camp and we peacefully and without dread interact with our chickens, this rooster included. I know that there are lots of other, very different, ideas as to handle an aggressive roo. This is just what works for us. I wish you all the best in finding your solution.

This may

This may not sound very nice... I had an aggressive rooster who tried to fly on my back. After a while I decided I was not going to put up with this and I kicked him really hard in the chest when he was facing me on an attack, then again and he walked away.Tried to do this again next day and he got the same treatment. That was the end of it. When he saw me from then on it was he who did not want to get close. That worked for me :)

Delighted to say that I delivered Pingu to his new home today. It's actually a spacious 'bachelor pad' where the owner has given refuge to roosters of all shapes and sizes - he has plenty of friends, plenty of space, lots of trees and things of interest and a knowledgeable new owner with a lot of experience (we took a look around). He will start separately and then get introduced to a few others before going into the main area and if it doesn't work out in there, there are other runs he can go in. I made a good donation to the centre to pay for his upkeep and I think he will be happy there - I feel that his role as flock protector here was actually quite stressful for him, even though we don't have much in the way of predators. The more I watched him the more I noticed him frantically charging around always trying to keep an eye on everything, crowing at least four times more than any rooster we have had before and never seeming relaxed.

It was a very interesting place. All the roosters seemed to be getting along fine and all in good health and it wasn't really noisy at all, just the odd crow here and there! My Mum spent the afternoon digging weeds in our chicken orchard and doing tasks she has been too nervous to do in recent days.

A good outcome and I thank you all for your support.

Back
Top Bottom