Aggressive rooster what do I do??

True dat! When I thought I wouldn't be able to keep mine, I tried PAYING people to take him. No go. Of course, he's so small. Not enough meat, I suppose.
I've done the same with the male's I really don't want to process (a certain bresse male comes to mind). I drove an hour to deliver a free male because the family that was interested couldn't

Thank you all so much I guess there is only those two choices. Thank you for using your time to try and help me all such kind people. Have a great day!

I have an aggressive rooster named memorial. I was the one who wanted chickens but now I’m to afraid to go out there. He keeps attacking me and my sisters. I can’t stand the thought of butchering him. I want what’s beat for him and my family.
How old is he? He might just be young full of hormones. My leghorn was aggressive until he met Mr.spray bottle. You have to show him who is on the top of the pecking order. Show no fear.
It all comes down to if you want to or have the time to work with him. Depending on his age he could settle down or he might just be a bird from hell.

How old is he? He might just be young full of hormones. My leghorn was aggressive until he met Mr.spray bottle. You have to show him who is on the top of the pecking order. Show no fear.
It all comes down to if you want to or have the time to work with him. Depending on his age he could settle down or he might just be a bird from hell.
They said the age on the first page. He's a year old.

I’ve been exactly in your shoes. I wanted chickens so I got my first 4 very young pullets. Problem was one turned out to not be a pullet but a cockerel. His name was changed from Repecca to Roopecca. I hadn’t wanted males but he was a real sweetheart. Well that lasted until the day he crowed. He started jumping at me then running away. That became flying at me and running away. That became charging at me repeatedly and not running away. He bit me. He drew blood. I tried multiple strategies to retrain him from all of the wonderful advice I got here. Hopefully you will be able to use their advice. I was too afraid to care for my hens anymore, just like you. Husband took over. But! When he drew blood on my husband right through his jeans hubby decided to put him in a small prefab coop we kept in the run to put new chickens during introduction period. He had plenty of room since it had its own attached run. I could put feeder and waterer in his private run before I opened his pop door in the morning. I removed them at night after he went inside and I had closed the pop door. He was alone but within the main run so he could be in a somewhat social environment. For this reason I recommend this if you, like me, can’t handle the thought of culling (he was a fabulously gorgeous Lavender Orpington) and can’t find anyone brave enough to take him (he was truly vicious). I found out his father had the same temperament. It does follow genes. For this reason I recommend never allowing to breed.
About a year or so after putting Roopecca in his “bachelor pad” a friend asked a huge favor of me. Knowing I had an old coop I use for “hospital” and quarantine purposes he wondered if I could foster a Bantam Rooster for 3 months till his new owner had his coop ready. Ok, I can handle him but n his separate coop the same way. Then my friend offers me a second full sized rooster, not a Banty but it was the Barney’s hatchmate. It could keep the banty company and then become my Sunday dinner when the banty goes to his new home. Ok, I guess I’ll do that.
Fast forward to a good month later and it’s going well but I’m tired of serving 3 coops and considering ways to consolidate. At exactly that point in time Sadly we found Roopecca had passed in his sleep, head still tucked under his wing. We decided on the ultimate test. We put both boys in with my ladies. (Btw, our flock now had 13 hens.) We watched those mature hens chase the boys away and interrupt their immature amorous advances on the younger hens! Those boys learned manners quickly and learned how to dance for all the ladies. For this reason if looking to re-home yours I highly recommend finding a large farm with lots of mature ladies to teach him manners while still young. He deserves the best chance at a full life and this option is perfect for that. Maybe you can find a local rescue farm. That was what I was about to do just before Roopecca passed.
The next test was human interaction. The boys had no interest in me or my husband. They had ladies to attend to! Two months later when it became time to return the banty boy to his new owner I got the word. Circumstances had changed for them. Did I want to keep either cockerel? YES, BOTH!! It’s now 7 months I’ve had both boys. Albert, the full sized cockerel, runs the roost rules. No fighting between the ladies, ladies eat first, and that little banty boy is not to touch the ladies! Henry, the Bantam, is the mischievous one but takes his own job seriously. In full battle mode he tries to scare off our dog if he gets too close to the run. Albert allows this and feels no need to do battle himself since Henry has it covered. Henry also is in charge of showing the ladies which nest he prefers they use. But Henry is a sneaky amourous lover and outruns Albert even performing parkour type escapes. The only interest either of them have in me is the snacks I bring. I’ve even grabbed a hen sitting next to either of them for inspection or whatever and the boys cackle at me but do not become aggressive. For this reason I want you to know there are such things as pleasant non-aggressive roosters. Don’t waste your time missing out on enjoying your ladies because of a mean rooster. Cull or give away as fast as possible.
Finally, do you need a rooster? Only if you are planning to raise more chickens. That means more roosters with his genes. If you can’t get rid of this guy you won’t get rid of a bunch of males you hatch. If you are planning to go that route find a friendly young cockerel AFTER your ladies have aged a year or two. I also suggest you not handle or pet him as his genetic hormones tell him you are being aggressive. The ladies are ok to handle but let the male be the male. I just hatched 4 boys, 4 girls, and one I’m on the fence about, all prodigy of Albert. If you don’t want to hatch baby roosters then don’t bother having a rooster in your flock.
I hope this helps you in some small way. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom