Aggressive Rooster?

Any large dog crate will work for the short term. Strongly consider rehoming him, sometimes a bird like that put in a multi-generational flock will turn out.

Not every bird will work in your set up. If he is already biting you, he is trying to put you in your place, he will continue to do this and it will become more and more violent. Let him go is my best advice. However, I just don't like an aggressive bird toward me and mine.

Mrs K
i really don't want to let him go and I don't think anyone is going to take him because he is aggressive. Oh and I don't think this helps or has to do anything in this but he's a Swedish flower rooster

Well that might help you move him, being a swedish flower rooster. They tend to be pretty. Post some pictures at the feed store, or contact a local poultry club. You might get lucky. Why do you want to keep him? He is biting you... I don't think you deserve that.

There is no need to feel guilty about not wanting this bird. Some birds work, some birds don't work, and roosters have ruined the whole chicken experience for a lot of people. If you let him go, you are going to love your hens.

Mrs K

i really don't want to let him go and I don't think anyone is going to take him because he is aggressive. Oh and I don't think this helps or has to do anything in this but he's a Swedish flower rooster
You should seriously consider letting him go. Your flock, and you, will be much happier.

He would be better off in the hands of someone who has dealt with cockerels before, and in a flock with mature birds to teach him some manners.

Well that might help you move him, being a swedish flower rooster. They tend to be pretty. Post some pictures at the feed store, or contact a local poultry club. You might get lucky. Why do you want to keep him? He is biting you... I don't think you deserve that.

There is no need to feel guilty about not wanting this bird. Some birds work, some birds don't work, and roosters have ruined the whole chicken experience for a lot of people. If you let him go, you are going to love your hens.

Mrs K
I want to keep him because One I raised him and two I get attached to things quickly and for me it's hard getting rid of him. I think were going to put him in a separate thing and going to slowly get him to become less aggressive.

Being in a separate space isn't guaranteed to make him more docile. I've had my share of roosters that I housed seperately, either within a coop or without other hand nearby that still would have loved to take me on

Being in a separate space isn't guaranteed to make him more docile. I've had my share of roosters that I housed seperately, either within a coop or without other hand nearby that still would have loved to take me on
thank you but I'm going to try my best with this.

Roosters is like a gamble. You can get some wonderful ones and some horrible ones. But if you know what signs to watch out for, makes a huge difference. Personally with so many roosters out there, I would not hold onto one that shows aggression. When they get bigger and have aggression , they come for you. It can be a bit scary. You will have some choices to make on what you feel comfortable doing. If you want to keep him , separate him or donate him to another farm. Roosters in my opinion are not made to be pets, they are made to be respectful and protective of their flock.

After over 50 years of keeping chickens, I am dealing with only my second truly aggressive rooster. He is a Black Australorp and I got him last August as a chick. He began his aggressive behavior at only five weeks of age and it has continued unabated since then. I have been patient with him while thinking he might calm down once he matured but even having him with 14 older mixed breed hens has not done it. He is a handsome example of the Black Australorp breed but there will be no hatching chicks from him given his nature. I would have already gotten rid of him by now but he is good with the hens and doesn't get aggressive with them. If that starts, he will be gone. As I noted, this BA is only the second hateful rooster I have had so I have been very fortunate. My first one 50 years ago was a White Leghorn that I got as an Easter chick and I called him Satan. I call this latest iteration El Diablo.

thank you to the stories and ideas on what to do but I will look into seperating him for a while until he starts to calm down then reintroduce him. If he is still aggressive towards them then he will be separated in a different coop the rest of his time and will not be by them. Still keeping him though and am not giving up.

Back
Top Bottom