Aggressive Rooster?

best wishes to you.

Do be careful around him, and extra careful if you have visitors who want to see the chickens.
i will and when i have visitors over they would always sit by the chickens and mind there business but my dad would mess with my rooster. that's how I'm guessing he got so aggressive.

No, roosters that get aggressive, tend to do so without much human influence. In my experience, they are either good roosters or not good roosters. We are trying to tell you that. A lot of the behavior is genetic. A rooster's brain is very small, smaller than a walnut half. They are mostly governed by hormones. They are very tricky for a new chicken person to handle.

They can cause serious damage, and the experienced people on here, do not expect this behavior to change. Wishing he will be nice, thinking he will learn to be nice if trained the right way, is mostly unrealistic.

Give it your best try, but BE CAREFUL, the rooster is telling you as loud as he can that he wants to dominate you and is willing to use violence to do so. There is a very strong chance that he will become much more aggressive. You should wear shoes, pants and long sleeves when you have to feed and water him or handle him. Beware of him pecking you in the face or clawing you.

Mrs K

No, roosters that get aggressive, tend to do so without much human influence. In my experience, they are either good roosters or not good roosters. We are trying to tell you that. A lot of the behavior is genetic. A rooster's brain is very small, smaller than a walnut half. They are mostly governed by hormones. They are very tricky for a new chicken person to handle.

They can cause serious damage, and the experienced people on here, do not expect this behavior to change. Wishing he will be nice, thinking he will learn to be nice if trained the right way, is mostly unrealistic.

Give it your best try, but BE CAREFUL, the rooster is telling you as loud as he can that he wants to dominate you and is willing to use violence to do so. There is a very strong chance that he will become much more aggressive. You should wear shoes, pants and long sleeves when you have to feed and water him or handle him. Beware of him pecking you in the face or clawing you.

Mrs K
i know and understand all of this. But I'm not gonna give up on getting him to be a little nicer. He's young now so I still have time anyway.

That could be a problem......how does your Dad 'mess' with the cockerel.
he plays with him. Like if my rooster puts his wing down to the side and walks sideways towards him my dad starts playing with him and starts to mess with him. My rooster doesn't hate him because there buddy buddies.

he plays with him. Like if my rooster puts his wing down to the side and walks sideways towards him my dad starts playing with him and starts to mess with him. My rooster doesn't hate him because there buddy buddies.
He does this with a 3 month old cockerel....or an older one?
Sounds like playing with fire to me.

He does this with a 3 month old cockerel....or an older one?
Sounds like playing with fire to me.
3 months and today he got on the back of my Plymouth and tried to mate her but at first, I wasn't paying attention so I yelled at him to get off and he did but then after I realized what was happening. My Plymouth didn't look very happy though I don't think she was ready. Maybe he is aggressive because hormones are kicking in? Also if he starting to do that I'm worried my silkie is going to get hurt and shes 3 months well I think but she seems pretty small to be.

Back
Top Bottom