Aggressive Rooster?

honestly she would probably be fine once she's mature. I have a pair of lil Japanese bantams that get mounted by a rooster who's practically a standard male and they're fine as long as he does the deed and them gets off. Just want to make sure the small hens don't become his favorites

Last edited:
honestly she would probably be fine once she's mature. I have a pair of lol Japanese bantams that get mounted by a rooster who's practically a standard male and they're fine as long as he does the deed and them gets off. Just want to make sure the small hens don't become his favorites
Yea she doesnt really like him anyway so I dont think she will be his favorite hopefully not. But thank you for the replies

My chickens are 3 months old today. 6 girls and 1 boy

Your pullets are much too young to deal with the mating attempts of your hormonally agitated cockerel. He might even hurt them if you do not separate him. Your pullets will need to be left alone for some 2-3 more months until maturity sets in and they start laying.

If you do have adult hens, let him run with them and they will soon teach him some manners.

Your pullets are much too young to deal with the mating attempts of your hormonally agitated cockerel. He might even hurt them if you do not separate him. Your pullets will need to be left alone for some 2-3 more months until maturity sets in and they start laying.

If you do have adult hens, let him run with them and they will soon teach him some manners.
I do not have adult hens but thank you for the concern. We will be making a separate building for him.

I do not have adult hens but thank you for the concern. We will be making a separate building for him.
Hi, I don’t know what to make of your replies, you ask for advice and then proceed as if you had not gotten any, A mean rooster will always be a mean rooster he will get you when your back is turned. He will get spurs that can dig into you. Did you get chickens as pets or for the eggs? Chickens can be fragile, everything likes chicken. You will learn as we all have. Much better to understand their behavior without a rooster being involved. Period.

Hi, I don’t know what to make of your replies, you ask for advice and then proceed as if you had not gotten any, A mean rooster will always be a mean rooster he will get you when your back is turned. He will get spurs that can dig into you. Did you get chickens as pets or for the eggs? Chickens can be fragile, everything likes chicken. You will learn as we all have. Much better to understand their behavior without a rooster being involved. Period.
Spot on.I have an aggressive rooster and he is a right menace altogether.Last year I had my back turned and was wearing only a short sleeve t-shirt.He caught me unawares and jumped up sticking his entire spur in to my left arm leaving a nasty wound and a need for a trip to the nearest medical facility.I let each pen of hbirds free range on alternate days and the first thing he does is runs over and tries to attack the other rooster in through the chicken wire of his pen.There is nothing much you can do with an aggressive rooster.They are a danger to have around and especially so for anyone who has young children.If they jump up and get someone in the face the injuries could scar them for life not only physically but mentally.You need to give him the road.Your love of this rooster is causing suffering to your hens.Penning him away in a seperate coop is not an answer either as poultry are flock animals and need the company of others.When you decide to raise any animal you need to be in it not only for the good times but also be able to make the tough decisions when needs demand it.

1. I ask for more replies so I get multiple people telling me ideas so I font have to focus on one. 2. We fingered out that my rooster is only aggresive because of hormones. He is ready to mate but my hens are not. My Rooster has calmed down ALOT and we are doing good. 3. I'm just a teen so these rude comments are acually making me feel bad so please be nice. I'm a beginner of course I'm going to ask stupid and crazy questions.

I have a tractor that I use for my girls to put them on the lawn. Sometimes I need to separate them for the same aggressive behavior. I can put the tractor right next to the coop so they are separate, but together.

I have a tractor that I use for my girls to put them on the lawn. Sometimes I need to separate them for the same aggressive behavior. I can put the tractor right next to the coop so they are separate, but together.
Thank you and I would separate him but he is literly so spoiled that when I leave he crows all day until I come back and then if I separate him he ain't gonna like it so we just building him a little house so if he is in trouble we put him in there for a little

I'm just a teen so these rude comments are acually making me feel bad so please be nice. I'm a beginner of course I'm going to ask stupid and crazy questions.
As a beginner, too, and anticipating a potential rooster in my chicks that are coming in July, I read this thread with interest, because I want to be educated and as ready as possible. No question is a stupid question and nobody appeared to treat your questions that way IMO. The replies seem very educational and informative to me, and it seems everyone is trying to help you, with a concern for you - particularly for your safety - born from long experience. They aren't intending to be rude....just practical, and there was a touch of frustration just in that one reply, because many are trying to impress upon you the danger a full-grown rooster can present. When I ask a question in the future, I hope to get the same honest opinions! Your options are to take the advice or not.

Several have expressed concern for the rooster's best interests too. Understand that this is a home for people who love their chickens! And they are expressing concern for you - what your future as a chicken-owner could be like as you grow into it, and what will help you to learn and have the most enjoyable experience. I took these replies to heart and thought they were very helpful. We need to consider what's best for our chickens - all of them, and realize that what is best for them may not always align with our personal wishes. It is possible to love an animal to death. So you might want to consider what will make him happiest in the long run, and that may not be with you and your hens, in his own coop, as a solitary chicken, which could be a very sad thing. I wonder too, did anybody say this? - if integrating him in another flock elsewhere while he is still young, is better (and easier to do) than when he is more grown.

Let us know how this adventure for you and the rooster goes please. All the best to you and him!

Back
Top Bottom