Aggressive Rooster?

As a beginner, too, and anticipating a potential rooster in my chicks that are coming in July, I read this thread with interest, because I want to be educated and as ready as possible. No question is a stupid question and nobody appeared to treat your questions that way IMO. The replies seem very educational and informative to me, and it seems everyone is trying to help you, with a concern for you - particularly for your safety - born from long experience. They aren't intending to be rude....just practical, and there was a touch of frustration just in that one reply, because many are trying to impress upon you the danger a full-grown rooster can present. When I ask a question in the future, I hope to get the same honest opinions! Your options are to take the advice or not.

Several have expressed concern for the rooster's best interests too. Understand that this is a home for people who love their chickens! And they are expressing concern for you - what your future as a chicken-owner could be like as you grow into it, and what will help you to learn and have the most enjoyable experience. I took these replies to heart and thought they were very helpful. We need to consider what's best for our chickens - all of them, and realize that what is best for them may not always align with our personal wishes. It is possible to love an animal to death. So you might want to consider what will make him happiest in the long run, and that may not be with you and your hens, in his own coop, as a solitary chicken, which could be a very sad thing. I wonder too, did anybody say this? - if integrating him in another flock elsewhere while he is still young, is better (and easier to do) than when he is more grown.

Let us know how this adventure for you and the rooster goes please. All the best to you and him!
Thank you and when I said rude comments I think that was a little harsh. Some comments it's hard to tell how there saying things ya know. And my rooster is alot calmer now and I have regained his trust back once again. He is dou g better and I know what I'm doing if he acts up again. I'm gonna make sure he feels safe instead of threatened again. Thank you again

when you close the coop up at night, put him in a separate cage just for the night and see what happens in the morning when you take him out.

when you close the coop up at night, put him in a separate cage just for the night and see what happens in the morning when you take him out.
Thank you and we are making him his own little coop just for when he's bad but so far he's been doing soooo good and I'm very relieved.

Have you tried Chicken Sunglasses, I've used them on hens that pick on the other chickens and they work well. They're also called Pick Guards and Chicken Glasses.

Aloha,
Yes people are trying to give you sound advice for your own good. Just keep an eye on him because if a rooster is aggressive I've rarely seen them decrease in aggression. It can get much worst! I learned the hard way, I had a beautiful rooster that was so tame he would eat out of my hand up to about 3-4 months old. Then he started attacking me and my husband out of the blue and never stopped. He would see me pull up the driveway (500 feet away) and come running full speed and jump and claw me as I came out of the car. If I walked in the yard he would pounce on me and peck me causing cuts on my arms and legs. I confined him to the enclosed coop and run but saw he terrorized my hens they were always cowering and running away from him. If I tried to clean up or fill the water and food container he would attack me. The final straw was when he jumped on my 5 year old grandson and pecked his head. No "F"ing bird is going to mess with my family! I got rid of him after that.

Aloha,
Yes people are trying to give you sound advice for your own good. Just keep an eye on him because if a rooster is aggressive I've rarely seen them decrease in aggression. It can get much worst! I learned the hard way, I had a beautiful rooster that was so tame he would eat out of my hand up to about 3-4 months old. Then he started attacking me and my husband out of the blue and never stopped. He would see me pull up the driveway (500 feet away) and come running full speed and jump and claw me as I came out of the car. If I walked in the yard he would pounce on me and peck me causing cuts on my arms and legs. I confined him to the enclosed coop and run but saw he terrorized my hens they were always cowering and running away from him. If I tried to clean up or fill the water and food container he would attack me. The final straw was when he jumped on my 5 year old grandson and pecked his head. No "F"ing bird is going to mess with my family! I got rid of him after that.
He sounds like he was related to a White Leghorn that I had more than 50 years ago that I called Satan. My sister and I could not go outside at all because of him. It was a happy day when a predator got him.

Update: we haven't given him a separate coop. We haven't don't that because he got so much better. He hasn't been aggressive for a while and is totally calm and doing his job instead of being aggressive. I'm a lot calmer with him and isn't stressed. He was only aggrieved because he wanted to start mating but the girls weren't ready. They're still not ready but he understands now that he needed to calm down.

Back
Top Bottom