Aggressive Rooster

xlentjoyce

Chirping
10 Years
May 4, 2014
I've always had Lovable Roosters! However my latest Silky Bantam Rooster, is an absolute A$%#&** !
He's fine with the chickens, but every time I come into the yard/coop he attacks me aggressively. ! Its not like I'm a stranger-I've raised him from a chick. I give him bread when all the hens are trying to take it away, I've held him and cuddled him. Is there anyway to calm him down? Otherwise, he's gonna hit the big time on the cockfighting circuit...

You could try picking him up and holding him and carrying him around the run or anywhere you go in the yard for as long as you can/want every day. That has worked for me in the past. Also I have had success with when he attacks you pin him down gently but firmly ti make sure he knows that you are in charge and won his fight against you. Pretty much he needs to know that you are the ( alfa rooster ) some roosters will learn and others won't. I think that most roosters see humans as being so big and dominant that they won't even try to fight them. But others want to challenge you to become the leader of the flock. So sometimes you can show them whose boss and they won't ever try to fight you again and others just won't give up. I had a huge barred rock mix rooster and he would run up and Attack you if you turned your back on him. He did that to me and then he started attacking other people. Until one day he ran up behind me and bit my leg and clawed me and then found him self flying through the air far across the run. He wasn't hurt but he never attacked me again.

I've always had Lovable Roosters! However my latest Silky Bantam Rooster, is an absolute A$%#&** !
He's fine with the chickens, but every time I come into the yard/coop he attacks me aggressively. ! It’s not like I'm a stranger-I've raised him from a chick. I give him bread when all the hens are trying to take it away, I've held him and cuddled him. Is there anyway to calm him down? Otherwise, he's gonna hit the big time on the cockfighting circuit...
Do not listen to these people who are commenting please. A roosters instinct and their whole purpose is to protect. They’re meant to be aggressive when threats are posed to them. DO NOT wear the color red when around them and when they do get aggressive towards you, raise your arms and flap your arms and even start going towards them and DO NOT turn your back towards them or kick them because then they think that they have won and when you attack them, that just raises the aggression even more. Spraying them with water is also very effective. Show them who is in charge and do not wear the color red around them. The color red is the color of blood. Red attracts them and that’s why most feeders and waterers are red is to attract them to their food and water source. They also will peck at colorful colors. Light blue seems to be calming to them and doesn’t pose as a threat. Hope this helps but don’t listen to people saying to kill an aggressive rooster that is doing exactly what they were bred to do and their natural instinct. It’s not a damn dog or cat.

In my experience, once they become aggressive they do not go back. Personally, I do not live with anything that is violent. Even if for some reason, you are willing be be attacked, do be aware, that other people may not find it funny.

No matter which way this goes, or training you do, you really cannot trust this bird.

Okay. Thank you all for the advice. I think I will take a spray bottle of water in with me next time, and see how that works. Perhaps, when I enlarge their run this summer, He won't feel the need to be so protective. Happy Mother's Day to all you Chicken Mamas!!!!!!

Another thing to think about is if you plan to hatch out chicks, would you really want them to inherit his bad attitude? Temperment is absolutely influenced by genetics and birds with an aggressive parent are more likely to be aggressive themselves. There are too many good roosters to put up with a jerk

Personally, it's just a waist of time trying to tame an aggressive rooster. Just kill him and make a grave, or eat 'em.

There's an abundance of good roosters out there for cheap, or free.

Back
Top Bottom