1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

aggressive rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tribsusan, Mar 2, 2014.

1. tribsusan

tribsusan New Egg

Oct 4, 2013
    I own a rooster and 2 hens which I've had since September or October. The roosterwas over a year old when I got him. Everything has been great until yesterday. He is suddenly very aggressive. Pecks shoes then tries to jump and claw you. I've tried pinning on his back and even tried holding him close.To no avail. Any suggestions

2. ggarratt

ggarratt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    Midcoast, Maine
    My first question is why did the rooster turn aggressive? When I have a friendly rooster that goes "mean" it's usually because there's a legitimate threat that has him on edge. I would be worried that there's a predator snooping around that has him worried and on the defensive.

In terms I'd how I would handle him, I tend to go with the theory that one shouldn't engage an aggressive rooster or he'll think you're a rooster too and will keep challenging you. And if he's already feeling stressed, dominating him might stress him out more. But I know my way of handling these things is not the norm. If it's a rooster I want to keep, I give him his space so he knows I'm not a threat to either him or his hens. And I spoil him with some extra treats so he looks forward to seeing me ;) But I also free range my chickens and want a rooster who will step up when there's a threat. I want him confident and I want him to know he's the dominant chicken, and that I'm a human which is a whole different, and unthreatening, thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    At this age, it's a little old for an inherently aggressive rooster to start showing his true colors. Usually, if a rooster is just plain mean, you see that mean nature very early, starting at or before about 6 months of age. For him to start showing aggression now means that there was an environmental trigger--like the above poster said, perhaps a predator is snooping about, or maybe someone else entered the coop/run who was less than graceful about it. It could also be the weather--I don't know where you live, but in a lot of places right now, chickens have been cooped up far more than usual lately due to the heavy snowfall, and tensions run high when chickens can't get out for a stroll.

4. Hooligans7

Hooligans7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    North-central Arkansas
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

If he's been a good guy up until now, I would also just try to give him space at first, not engaging. Not running from him, or acting scared of him, just basically ignoring him. Don't try to handle him, etc. If that doesn't work, and he literally approaches you to attack....

It really doesn't matter why he's doing it, he still needs to stop. Whatever method you chose to get him to quit, you have to do it consistently until he stops the behavior. It may take ten minutes, it may take 2 hours. Be prepared to spend the time necessary, but once you engage him you can not leave him until he's totally submitted to you, or you'll just reinforce his behavior to last longer the next time.

6. piglett

piglett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    i find that roosters tend to attack if they have too few hens

i would say he is looking to keep everyone away from the only 2 hens he has

i have had this problem in the past

i added more hens & the old boy calmed rite down

i like to have 10/12 girls per rooster

expand your flock , you know you want to [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by