Aggressive Rooster

I think a big point here, is that you recognized that the rooster was going to be trouble long before he attacked you, or even puffed up. .............

The biggest tipoff in my case was this rooster didn't crow much during the day but in the weeks prior to the attack when I got around the chicken yard he became aggitated and crowed constantly. If I were inside the chicken yard he'd pace & stalk to within about 10 ft, face me and crow AT ME. Whereas the other 4 roosters I own remain relaxed and ignore me when I enter their areas.

Yes, that was the same thing mine did, he just crowed and crowed when I was at the coop. Then instead of moving away, he stood there, or he would get up on something to be taller. Then he started puffing up, when he puffed up at my niece, who often helps me with the flock, I culled him, I thought to myself, "What am I waiting for? Zetta and I enjoy this hobby, and that two bit bird will ruin it for her."

I do not allow crowing in front of me, but Old Underwear never does.

Mrs K

Hi all,

One of my chicks that arrived in July turned out to be a Wellsumer rooster and now, at 6 months old, he is starting to attack my tenants (who are caring for my chickens for the next few months). I've never had a rooster before and I'm wondering what to do with him.

Two of my tenants have experience training young horses and are not afraid of him and not taking any crap from him. I assume they are making progress but unfortunately I'm not in the country right now to know exactly what is happening. I won't be back in the US until mid March. My other tenant says he has been running her out of the barn when she tries to feed and water them. She does not have any experience training dangerous animals. I've advised her to use a water pistol for now but more importantly to protect herself-how ever she needs to do that.

Some of the posts on here say that at times roosters grow out of this behavior after adolescence. Some say that roosters can be retrained-some posts say it's not worth it. I'm not sure how to proceed. He was handled a little when he was a chick and hand fed along with the rest of them. If it matters all 8 of them were put under my broody hen when they arrived.

What are the chances he will grow out of it? What are the signs that he won't? What are the most successful re-training methods given that I can't really ask my tenants to carry the rooster around daily-and sadly I'm not there to do so?

Is it possible to rehome a human aggressive rooster? If so, where would I look for potential adopters (and yes I would fully disclose the reasons I'm getting rid of him) If I do need to cull him what's the best method?
What ways are there to kill a rooster? I'm not going to eat him....and I'm not up to processing a chicken yet, and honestly I don't think I ever will be.
I thought it would be OK to give the other 9 hens the benefit of his protection but only if I can retrain him. Thanks for any advice.

IMO - you are asking a great deal of people to take care of an aggressive rooster. I don't think you can really train them, some people do think so, but their idea of success might be different than mine. You might re-home him, but it is a small chance. I would cull him or give him to someone who will cull him.

Mrs K

Hi all,

One of my chicks that arrived in July turned out to be a Wellsumer rooster and now, at 6 months old, he is starting to attack my tenants (who are caring for my chickens for the next few months). I've never had a rooster before and I'm wondering what to do with him.

Two of my tenants have experience training young horses and are not afraid of him and not taking any crap from him. I assume they are making progress but unfortunately I'm not in the country right now to know exactly what is happening. I won't be back in the US until mid March. My other tenant says he has been running her out of the barn when she tries to feed and water them. She does not have any experience training dangerous animals. I've advised her to use a water pistol for now but more importantly to protect herself-how ever she needs to do that.

Some of the posts on here say that at times roosters grow out of this behavior after adolescence. Some say that roosters can be retrained-some posts say it's not worth it. I'm not sure how to proceed. He was handled a little when he was a chick and hand fed along with the rest of them. If it matters all 8 of them were put under my broody hen when they arrived.

What are the chances he will grow out of it? What are the signs that he won't? What are the most successful re-training methods given that I can't really ask my tenants to carry the rooster around daily-and sadly I'm not there to do so?

Is it possible to rehome a human aggressive rooster? If so, where would I look for potential adopters (and yes I would fully disclose the reasons I'm getting rid of him) If I do need to cull him what's the best method?
What ways are there to kill a rooster? I'm not going to eat him....and I'm not up to processing a chicken yet, and honestly I don't think I ever will be.
I thought it would be OK to give the other 9 hens the benefit of his protection but only if I can retrain him. Thanks for any advice.
Is there, or can they set up, a separate enclosure they can lock him up in?
That's what I would do, grab him off the roost at night and put him in his 'bad bachelor pad'.
That'll give him 3 months to straighten up and/or for you to learn to harvest him when you get back.

I agree with everyone. Two roosters with 3 hens is not at all ideal. And sorry if I'm harsh on my next point. Any rooster that will attack people should be put on the dinner table in my opinion. You don't want to carry on that bloodline. Maybe if you don't want to have him put down. Look for a local chicken farmer that has lots of room and more hens. But most farmers if a rooster attacks them or there family will put them down. Some rooster are just aggressive and I nephews 2 and 3 years old that love to play with and feed the chickens. They can't run as fast as you or me. Any rooster that attacks people in my flock. No matter how beautiful and as much as it pains me at times is out down. Good luck none the less.

I agree with everyone. Two roosters with 3 hens is not at all ideal. And sorry if I'm harsh on my next point. Any rooster that will attack people should be put on the dinner table in my opinion. You don't want to carry on that bloodline. Maybe if you don't want to have him put down. Look for a local chicken farmer that has lots of room and more hens. But most farmers if a rooster attacks them or there family will put them down. Some rooster are just aggressive and I nephews 2 and 3 years old that love to play with and feed the chickens. They can't run as fast as you or me. Any rooster that attacks people in my flock. No matter how beautiful and as much as it pains me at times is out down. Good luck none the less.
Read more carefully....there are 9 females and 1 male.

Read more carefully the original post is 3 hens two roosters.
And no need to act like I can't read. I am going of the original post. Your going off a side post. I thought the point was to comment on the original question. But hey maybe I'm wrong. Sorry I offended you.

Back
Top Bottom