Aggressive roosters, need help!

PoultreeKing

Songster
Mar 26, 2017
Lebanon beirut
I've been raising chicken for three years now, it's a hobby and a small business project as well, i'm an agricultural student and i live nature, i started with 5 Coshin bantam chicks, they all turned out to be roosters and i was able to trade them for a pair of white frizzles, later on i baught some 1 polish chick 1 silkie chick, 2 java chicks and 1 frizzle as well, once they were all adults i sold them and baught many eggs of silkie and polish, in incubated them and ended up with 30 chicks, long story short the chicks grew up, some died some sold, and now i have some silkies and some polish all at the age of 10 months, they are all divided into cages according to color and breed, they used to be very nice and sweet to me, but a couple of months ago my brown silkie rooster started getting over protective of his hen and very aggressive with me, every time i try to put food or water he tears my arm apart, yesterday i had enough and started pushing him off really hard every time he tried to attack hoping that he would see i'm more dominant and he would stop pecking me, but the more i pushed him off the harder he charged until eventually he was exhausted and his combe started to bleed a bit and yet he wouldn't stop attacking so i realized that he's not gonns stop and i'm just harming him so i stopped and today i was trying to put food in their cage and he attacked again like before so i have no idea what to do, what causes them to become aggressive? How do i prevent it from happening? And how can i stop it once it's already happened? I also have 2 polish roosters with 3 hens, and they used to be sweet as well but they started to act aggressive a week ago and each day they are getting more and more aggressive, i'd like to keep my hand and my roosters as well so if anyone has any information or experience please help, thank you!

Hormones surge in spring, and roosters will start fighting. If you are going to see human aggression it will often crop up in spring because they are feeling feisty.

I don't handle my growing roosters much and it prevents human aggression from developing. It has been a few years since I have had one aggressive with me.

Fixing it can be hard as you have seen. You will need a tool if you wish to try. I use a fishing net, some use a squirt bottle, others a stick. You need to train him to keep his distance which is basically dominating him. Some can be fixed and others can't unfortunately.

When you go in you need to block his attacks and drive him back. My technique involves scooping them up in the net and either penning them or leaving them in the net to flop about while you do your feeding, and releasing them when you are done. Stand your ground, and make sure the rooster moves off before you leave. Never give an aggressive rooster your back. Eventually he should cackle and run the other way when he sees you.

Roosters that are too aggressive with the hens I remove either temporarily or permanently.

Here is a link that has been helpful to others by member Beekissed:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-aggressive-bird.1151032/page-5#post-19320385

I raise my roosters similar to Oldhen. I don't handle them when I know they're roosters. I don't let them be in my space. I walk through them - if I want to go from one place to another and a cockerel/rooster is in my way, I keep walking and make him move. I meet challenges with confindence. I haven't had a mean rooster since I've started raising them this way. That doesn't mean I won't, but so far so good.

If it's spring where you are, it could definitely be hormonal with your guy. Something to consider - if you try Bee's method and your rooster doesn't learn from it, you may want to get a nicer one as a breeder. I have read that aggression is an inherited trait. I have not experienced that here, but we do eat our aggressive roosters, so maybe that's why.

Here is a link that has been helpful to others by member Beekissed:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-aggressive-bird.1151032/page-5#post-19320385

I raise my roosters similar to Oldhen. I don't handle them when I know they're roosters. I don't let them be in my space. I walk through them - if I want to go from one place to another and a cockerel/rooster is in my way, I keep walking and make him move. I meet challenges with confindence. I haven't had a mean rooster since I've started raising them this way. That doesn't mean I won't, but so far so good.

If it's spring where you are, it could definitely be hormonal with your guy. Something to consider - if you try Bee's method and your rooster doesn't learn from it, you may want to get a nicer one as a breeder. I have read that aggression is an inherited trait. I have not experienced that here, but we do eat our aggressive roosters, so maybe that's why.
He's a beautiful and a working rooster so i don't want to get another one i'm going to try and fix it but yes i believe it is the spring effect on my polish roosters.

Hormones surge in spring, and roosters will start fighting. If you are going to see human aggression it will often crop up in spring because they are feeling feisty.

I don't handle my growing roosters much and it prevents human aggression from developing. It has been a few years since I have had one aggressive with me.

Fixing it can be hard as you have seen. You will need a tool if you wish to try. I use a fishing net, some use a squirt bottle, others a stick. You need to train him to keep his distance which is basically dominating him. Some can be fixed and others can't unfortunately.

When you go in you need to block his attacks and drive him back. My technique involves scooping them up in the net and either penning them or leaving them in the net to flop about while you do your feeding, and releasing them when you are done. Stand your ground, and make sure the rooster moves off before you leave. Never give an aggressive rooster your back. Eventually he should cackle and run the other way when he sees you.

Roosters that are too aggressive with the hens I remove either temporarily or permanently.
Thank you i'll try one of these methods.

Back
Top Bottom