1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Aging Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jibjab, Nov 19, 2011.

1. jibjab

jibjab New Egg

Nov 19, 2011
    I have a 10 or 11 year old "pet" hen. She lives in the house most of the time. She is lame and has trouble with her balance. She is eating very little but will take hand-fed yogurt (a little). Her crop feels full but that can't be since she isn't eating. Actually she acts like she wants to eat but has trouble picking up the food. Does anybody have suggestions for what I can do for her?

2. un-named

un-named Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    check her feet for big scaly looking stuff.... if she has that start putting vaseline on her legs and feet on a regular basis. That should help the scaly stuff to shed and she will have younger looking feet. This may be what is causing her to be lame.
    I don't know how to help her eat...maybe her vision is affected and she needs larger, deep bowls to eat from so where ever she pecks she has the best chance of getting food?
    good luck with her.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    You could try a crop massage after feeding her some bread soaked in olive oil. That may help to break up any impactions in her crop. It sounds like her crop issues may need to take precedence over any other health concerns at the moment. If she can't eat then she's not going to make it.

Keep us posted as to how she's doing.

4. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I agree. Crop massage for her, olive oil, and provide her with grit to help grind everything up.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by