Agressive chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Barbedwirecat, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    I have a 9 week old chick I ended up letting mom hen raise. I have been trying to handle regularly. I had both momma hen and baby in a grow out brooder because she ended up getting off her remaining eggs early and lost one of her chicks (literally). I have been letting them out supervized and this week I have let them out fully. Over the past day or so I have noticed many roo behaviors. So we shall assume this is a boy.

However all of the aggression is directed at ME. He's already trying to flog me and jump up at my legs. Pecks at my feet. Actually goes out of his way to get after me. Should I be worried? There are no other chicks, just him. Everyone seems fine with him--he just is not fine with me.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sounds like normal behavior for a cockerel whose hormones are just coming into play, what is sometimes called his "teenage" years. There are lots of discussions about this on BYC. Some people get rid of human aggressive roosters, some manage or avoid the behavior. Here is just one thread on the subject:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/822115/normal-rooster-behavior/0_20

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    X2 I agree sounds like the bird is a young cockerel.i had a cockerel that I thought was a female and at about three months old he would literally chase and peck me. when I would get close to my other female birds to handle them he would run up and peck me too! I started suspecting he was a rooster and I had him dna sex tested at this point. sure enough he ended up being a agressive male. He got a new home by the way. I'm certain his agression would have gotten worse to me as he grew older. He was a beautiful bird but just too agressive. Id watch him closely and if it continues consider re homing him unless your willing to fight off a rooster every day. The behavoior can get worse. Just keep an eye out and make sure hes not getting more agressive as time goes on. hope this helps and wish you The best.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  4. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    Thanks guys! I already have an overprotective rooster that I have to fend off, though as long as I keep a barrier (like a feed bucket) around he's not bad. I have 2 Roos and I don't need another. Ron (the overbearing Roo) has earned his place with his protection of my hens, and his son is very docile and not a trouble maker. I can see this one being a problem.

I've never seen one be so aggressive so young. He's still making chick noises. It's definitely not a "Hey, that's interesting---I'll peck at it." behavior. It's a "That's not mine, KILL IT" behavior. I'll let him grow a little and send him on his way. He's got neck feathers anyway---too "NORMAL" for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by