Agressive Guineas

stefshens

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 17, 2014
I have 3 guineas and 17 chickens (supposed to all be hens). The guineas are slightly older then the hens. The guineas and chicks have been in the same coop since they were approximately 4-5 weeks old. They will be 10 weeks on Monday.

The guineas seem very aggressive in general toward the chickens. If I give them fresh grass or treats (watermelon, etc) the guineas always get it and chase a majority of the chicks away. Several of the chicks avoid them at all cost. One of the guineas is female as she makes the two sounds. The other two I believe are male as they have only made the one syllable sound. I have not let them free range as it was suggested to keep them cooped up until they adjusted to their new home. We are in the process of building a new coop, so I was hoping to wait until the coop was finished before letting the guineas out.

Is this typical behavior for guineas? The male guineas seem more aggressive than the female guinea. I was thinking that maybe becasue they are not currently free ranging, they are frustrated. I was also considering rehoming one of the males to determine if the behavior improved. Any thoughts?

Sounds like typical Guinea behavior to me, they are bullies to chickens. Yes rehome the extra male, it will help some. Also when they can free range they do better at ignoring the chickens.
Aprille

I have about 40 hens, 5 roosters and 6 guineas, all free range. One of the guineas is setting. My 5 run with one of the roosters. I call them his gang of 5. If he goes after a hen, so do they... but for different reasons. They are bullies!!!

Back
Top Bottom