Agressive pecking between two chicks

mama hen

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 23, 2012
Reno, NV
I have a 5 week Cucko Marans and a 5 week Buff Cochin that have been really going at it lately. The Marans seems to be the dominate bird in the flock as she routinely runs everyone over, even my 6 week old birds. But she generally will not peck anyone unprovoked. The Cochin, however, routinely chest bumps her, while giving her the evil eye, as if to say, "you wanna piece of me"? Does pecking order behavior start this young? Also, I have my flock of 8 seperated in 2 - 55 gallon bins until my coop is finished (hopefully by next weekend if it doesn't snow all weekend). Today, the pecking was so bad I brought the cochin in the house. She's in a dog crate right now for time out!

Yikes!

They get everyone else so upset! Alright, back into the bin she goes. Sure wish the snow and rain would let up so i could let them outside to burn off some energy.

You know, I just pulled her out of the dog crate and noticed she has a couple of raw spots on her face. It doesn't look bloody, but definately looks like the Marans got the best of her. Should I keep her seperated from everyone, or seperate the Marans from the flock?

Back
Top Bottom