Agressive Polish?

smallzoo

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 6, 2011
98929_dscn5802.jpg

98929_dscn5806.jpg

This is my small flock. My Polish seems to be the aggressive one though and is the only one that has ever chased or pecked me (when I'm not putting food down
smile.png
). She will also jump at me and the barred rock, I've seen her try to peck at the other's eyes too. They are 22 1/2 weeks and this behavior just started in the last 2 weeks, before that she was the odd ball out and was sweet to me all the time and come up to be petted, she still does some but not as much as much as trying to chase me. Is this "normal"?
"

My female polish do "seem" like they are being aggressive, but I'm not really sure since they are also sweet.
The polish are the most curious of all my chickens and I sometimes wonder if the pecking is just part of their personalities.

I don't know for sure, but will tell you that we are dealing with the exact same thing! Ours are 6 months old and Einstien is the only polish. She, too, runs at us for food and fluffs all her neck feathers out and charges our legs. She LOVES to peck our toes (ouch!) when we are wearing sandals or crocks. She's also challenging the other hens a lot... but loses every conflict. She's a real hoot and will also let us pick her up and carry her around with out any drama.

We had a polish rooster that we had to rehome. He was NOT like this at all. Einstien is all talk and we aren't afriad of her. I am afriad that I am going to trip over her as she is constantly under foot!

Quote:
x2

Yeah - my polish are very friendly, but can't seem to aim properly to get the food out of my hand (ie: they bite my fingers when being fed, or pinch my skin). My LF polish hen (well, she's not large, but definitely NOT bantam), is pretty high up in the pecking order. I have 13 chickens (2 of which are roos), and she is tied for the second highest spot in the pecking order!

We love her whacky personality. She grew up with her sister since day one, and it is hilarious when they spot each other from across the yard and charge (HACKLES UP!), Oh and when she decides she wants something across the run, she will fly to it!

She is also very vocal, will talk when spoken to. I know she knows her name! I really enjoy the antics of my polish
wee.gif

Yours is very cute BTW
smile.png

Last edited:
Thank you, we think she is cute too....it's her saving grace
wink.png
. The only one that stands up to her is the Barred Rock, then the Polish will jump in the air at her but luckily the Barred Rock doesn't back down. I'm glad to know it's not only mine who does this crazy behavior
roll.png
, it's just so weird and sudden that she started this, before she would just come up to us and sit on our feet, making a loud almost goose honk noise at us til we petted her. Maybe she is upset her name is Ballarina
lau.gif

Try giving your Polish a hair cut. My Silkie would lash out at everyone who approached him. I gave him a haircut and the naughty behavior stopped. We're guessing he was startled by us because he couldn't see anything (he also had bad aim and would peck fingers and run into walls). Good luck...

I agree with all that is being said. I have a Bantam Polish and she is second in the pecking order. Very fun quirky breed. I love them. By the way your Polish hen is beautiful!

I have had three mean roos in 25 years, all three were from Murray Mcmurray hatchery, all three polish roos..................no, not roos, demons from hell.

Polish, aside from having poofs, also have Personality! (capital P!) Mine are really playful, and will chase my dogs around, and fly at their faces. They may act agressive, but I'm sure it's just play. (Mine are almost a year old, if that matters!) One of mine loves boots, and chases anyone wearing boots, and sits on boots as well ("Chicken, I need to walk.")

Back
Top Bottom