Agressive Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by If the Goose Fits, May 12, 2011.

1. If the Goose Fits

If the Goose Fits Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    I have a Polish rooster that is just about to turn a year old. He's absolutely beautiful, and I love him. Some days he's so sweet and loving, and he's the best thing in the world. [​IMG]
    But some days, he's very agressive and territorial. And these days are starting to happen more and more often. Almost every day now.
    Now, I get that he would get more aggressive as spring comes, and his hormones start raging, but I was wondering if this was permanent.
    As he gets older, will he realize that when I feed him (or collect eggs) I'm not invading his territory, or will he just get more agressive?
    Is there anything I can do to make him feel less threatened, or subdue his agressiveness?
    I really want to keep him, but I have a policy about aggressive birds. [​IMG]

2. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    It seems, from what I've read, that their true personality starts to show itself when they hit around a year old. I've had roos younger than that get really aggressive with me and they went off to the stew pot. It could just be spring but I suspect that it is his true nature showing through.

3. If the Goose Fits

Apr 9, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    Quote:I think I'll give him till about.... August, (because I love him) and if he's not subdued by then, he'll go someplace else. Like chicken heaven. [​IMG]

4. uncle rico

uncle rico Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Spring Green, WI
    Or freezer camp

5. If the Goose Fits

Apr 9, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    Quote:Probably not. He is the skinniest thing. [​IMG]

6. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    One thought I learned here is, do I really want to pass this behavior on ........
    My decsion was no............
    I hope it is just that he is young and over reacting doing his job.............

I just had to make this decsion for one of my beautiful 1/2 English Orpington roo's...
    A knock out beautiful bird...tore up my hens and attacked me every chance he got.
    He would actually follow me back to the house waiting for me to take my eyes off of him.
    It was intresting to me also, that he was shunned by the flock....maybe that is why he was so mean.
    or maybe his being mean is why he was shunned.
    I have two other roosters from the same hatch, and they are loves...AND EASY ON MY HENS............
    Anyway, I did not want him to pass down his lousy attitude.

I have read on BYC ideas of how to break them from this.
    Maybe you will get further help or you could look in the search area.
    Good luck....[​IMG]

7. If the Goose Fits

Apr 9, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    Quote:See, the only roosters I've ever gotten that were sweethearts are bantams. Sure, they're cute, and helpful, but I would love to have a full sized rooster who loves us.
    I've looked around and found that I have a few options. Would I rather have my rooster think I'm the Alpha Male, or stay out of his comfort zone? Since his comfort zone seems to be everywhere, I guess I'm going with alpha male. [​IMG]
    Time to put on my tough face and go show that pretty boy who's the boss! [​IMG]

8. If the Goose Fits

Apr 9, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    I felt kind of bad about have to be "tough" on him, so I decided to try and be nice to him. I found a very indepth article by Yazzo that gave me lots of info.
    So I tried going outside earlier today and not getting in his "bubble". Just letting HIM decide how close he wanted to be to me. I also tried to never look directly at him, so he wouldn't feel like I was threatening him. I also fed him little bits of hard-boiled eggs to lure him close.
    And he didn't attack me! [​IMG] He even ate out of my hand! Hopefully he'll get more an more comfortable with me! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by