Ah springtime, the spa has opened

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by superchemicalgirl, Mar 15, 2011.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Last fall I got a covered turtle sandbox for free off Craigslist to keep sand/ashes/DE in for chicken dust baths. After an incredibly long winter the spa has been unearthed and re-opened. It took all of 0.0003 seconds for the girls to realize it was open for business:

[​IMG]

A line was forming for the spa. I'm off to Lowes to get another 50 lbs of play sand, it seems I'm going to need it the way they're kicking it out.

What a smile these crazy chickens bring to my face.

2. jojo54

jojo54 Songster

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    They look like they're having fun. Lucky girls that you have a spa set up for them to use in the winter. Mine go under the trees on nice days. (The snow never gets under the trees). Except for Lulu, you has her own indoor spa in the basement for winter use.

3. Emmalion

Emmalion Songster

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Now if that would only keep them from making craters in my yard..... Great idea I may have to make one for my crew.

4. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Crowing

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I just love how everything with chickens is a group sport. One starts eating and they all have to eat. Now one is thirsty and they are all suddenly thirsty. One goes to take a dust bath and next thing you know, you've got 10 hens all jammed in there kicking dust up at each other and knocking into each other. There is no such thing as "personal space" in the chicken world.

5. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Quote:It doesn't prevent yard craters, trust me. My chicken run in the summer when it's dry looks like crater city. Sometimes I think they're digging foxholes for some war with the squirrels. But their run right now alternates between about a foot of snow and 3 inches of mud. So I'm glad I was able to get to the spa today to dig it out, finally, dry ground!

6. FeatheredFeline

FeatheredFeline Chirping

Mar 2, 2011
    Northwest Washington
    I mighty just try that for my girls, it's a great idea. And I love the Orpington just standing there like "Hey! Let me in to!"

7. Emmalion

Emmalion Songster

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Quote:It doesn't prevent yard craters, trust me. My chicken run in the summer when it's dry looks like crater city. Sometimes I think they're digging foxholes for some war with the squirrels. But their run right now alternates between about a foot of snow and 3 inches of mud. So I'm glad I was able to get to the spa today to dig it out, finally, dry ground!

Thats sad... Was hoping to save my lawn lol

Right now when they are out they find the barn. They love the barn all kinds of dry dirt to play in. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: