Ahh hatching help

The chick hatched but it seems a little off or slow . It was flipping overon its back at first so i wrapped a face clocth around it and seems tob e doing better .
Ofcourse its the only araucana to hatch double tufted !!!!!My last tufted chick died at day 3
roll.png

So pray for this little girl please she will need it

oh, good luck, I had a day 3 thing happen with my first (and only for a while) tufted araucana. I am such a glutton, I am getting more eggs
tongue.png

Last edited:
Well the chic kmade it through the night . Its still getting used to its feet . They are a little fat for some reason (arent they all like that at first ?) But she walked fine but then the first hatched chick pecked at her feet so i put her back in her face cloth nest

I got 3 to hatch out of a dozen that were shipped .
big_smile.png

i got a blue a black and a white . The blue seems to be a clean faced tailed , the black is clean face rumpless and the white is double tufted tailed

You probably shouldn't be putting the chick in a face cloth. It needs to learn to walk and it can only do that if it can get exercise. Are you sure it is getting plenty of food and water? I use my coffee grinder to grind up the chick crumbles to make them small enough for the small chicks.
Gina
smile.png

I didnt wrap it around the chick i kinda bent the face cloth in a U and put it kiddy cornered in the corner of that hatching tray so it could move just not get out but the little bugger climed over the face cloth and is now walking around . Seems alot better than the one i hatched in dece,ber he didnt move much .

When should i put them in a brooder ?

Ill use my moms coffee grinder and grind up some food
lol.png

If they are dry they can go into the brooder. You usually wait for them all to hatch and then move them when they are all dry.
Be sure to have a heat lamp over the brooder if you are just using a plastic tub or something.
Small chicks need their food ground up a bit. The regular chick crumbles are sometimes too big.
Glad to hear that the little one is walking around now.
Gina
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom