Ahh! Help with Rough/Protruding Navel. Will this Chick Make it? (Graphic Pic)

runswithchicken

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 11, 2012
Sussex County Delaware
I'm about to swear off this whole hatching thing completely. The first time I've managed to get more than one chick to hatch, one has a problem with it's navel.

He hatched last night with part of the yolk sac unabsorbed (I'm guessing) and has a protrusion from his navel. He was also very slimy/sticky when he hatched, with excess albumen?(white goo) on him and now the feathers are matted on his bottom half. I'm afraid to wash him off so he can fluff up because I don't want to hurt him. I did pick off the bits of egg shell that were stuck to him.

He's only my second successfully hatched baby. Is there hope for this guy? I've read that sometimes the navel adsorbs on its own and they turn out fine, and other times when they die. He's walking fine (more like waddling since he's got a lump between his legs) and seems active enough. I never thought chickens could be so emotional.
hit.gif

Should I try to wash off the stickiness so he'll fluff? Should I put neosporin/iodine on his navel or leave it alone?

This in my experience is usually fatal. But yours is active and lively, which is good! So there's hope... Good luck
fl.gif

Sometimes when they come out like that you can save them. Try wrapping them in warm wet paper towels. Make sure not to cover their head. Put them back in the incubator. The moister keeps the yolk from drying out. Give them time to absorb the rest of the yolk. If possible keep them from moving around. I have done this before and it worked but no promises

What ever happened with your baby? I had one hatch four days ago with the same unhealed umbilical cord. I couldn't find anything about it so I used some iodine and put a bandaid on it. He is still very active and seems to be ok, but I don't know what the future holds. Any input would be great!

Back
Top Bottom