AHHHH! Make it stop!!! Screaming goats...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chicksngoats, Aug 31, 2009.

1. chicksngoats

chicksngoats Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2009
    This is our second time around with goats, we had some a few years back and I just don't remember them being so loud! We have a 2 yr old nubian doe and her boy that is about 3-4 months now. They start crying/screaming for food before the rooster starts crowing some mornings. I actually crawled into the bathroom a few mornings, becuase if they saw me, they would miraculously manage to get LOUDER...

Anyways, I really just don't remember that much about having goats the first time around and I'm getting to my wits end with these guys. I don't get much sleep as it is with 3 little ones and I'm not too happy about these guys waking up so early in the morning....not too mention the screaming they can start up anytime during the day that I happen to walk near their area...

So are goats always this loud? Did I manage to forget in the few years its been how incredibly loud they are? Or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for any advice for a newbie!

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I think some breeds of goats are louder than others. I want to say Nubians are one of the louder, it may have been Nigerians.. I know it was one of thoe "N" breeds.

Do they have forage? Hay or brush to keep them busy? Grain is good and all, but it takes no time at all to eat it and for them get bored again. Maybe you just need to provide enough hay to keep them busy and not screaming for grain. If they have a mouthful of hay, less chance they'll scream for breakfast. LOL

How long have you had them? Did they come from a larger herd? If so, they may simply be having seperation pains and are calling for their buddies, it should settle since they have each other.

If they are so terribly loud and you only have two, maybe you can lock them into a building until you are ready to feed them. Maybe an enclosed stall or shed they can be put into at night? Wouldn't need too much room for a night time enclosure. Just an enclosed building without windows facing the house(even in the building they'll make themselves heard if they SEE you). It would simply be to give you a good night sleep and a good morning before you are "ready" to deal with the animals. A good night's sleep and a good start make all the difference.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Ohio
    My Nigerians were very loud when we first brought them home. And constant. It took a couple weeks for them to get used to their new home and routine. I fed them at specific times and didn't give in to them. Now they are used to the routine and when they are fed. They do still have times when they are loud and want some attention. If I really need to, we can close them up in their stall in the barn. But they really haven't been bad since the beginning. Good luck with your goats.

4. Ashmeade

Ashmeade Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Nubians are definitely known for their BIG MOUTHS.

5. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    Sorry to say, you'll just have to put up with it for now. Nubians can get very attached to their owners, so she will be screaming for a while until she gets used to her home and you. We bought a couple NDs before, and 1 of them would not stop screaming! She screamed so much at night, that we had to bring her in our garage so she wouldn't wake up our poor nieghbors. After a couple weeks, she quieted down (the 1st night was the worst though).

6. chicksngoats

Aug 15, 2009
    Oh no...so we ended up with the loud mouths, huh? [​IMG]

We have had them since the beginning of June and they do seem to be getting louder... maybe not. I can't think over all the noise [​IMG]

We have a fenced area of blackberries that we try to keep them in...but move them between there are another area that is fenced with their shelter...the fenced area with shelter they have pretty much mowed down. So I have been giving them hay and grain. Is that not going to cut it? Do they need to have pasture to graze? I'm afraid it could be a very long winter when the blackberries die off.

I really like the idea of goats, but they seem to be such a pain in the butt!

Thank you so much for the help so far!

7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Ohio
    If you are low on pasture then they should always have hay in their hay box. They should have free choice hay. That may help the problem. Maybe give them a couple of places to eat the hay so there is no fighting over it. It isn't a problem not to have pasture. We all don't have the perfect conditions for livestock. Many people keep their livestock on "drylot" through the winter and feed only hay. Also feed them grain at certain times and try to keep it at those times only. Then the goats get a "clock" going and won't bother you until closer to those times (at least it worked for my goats).

8. CaGoatLady

CaGoatLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Auburn, CA
    Nubian would be the keyword here; they are loud, especially the girls, but they will have conversations with you.

9. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    We sold our screamer (Nubian). She was awful, I don't know what kind of noise she'd have made if something was actually hurting her. They're my favourite breed to look at, but I will not have another. Any hungry goat will be noisy though, they seem to think that they are hungry 24/7 and will have a screaming fit if they're without hay for half an hour!

10. chicksngoats

Aug 15, 2009
    I've been doing the hay free choice but they have run out a couple of times...so maybe need to just make sure that is well stocked. And I will try to pick the same time for feeding...hopefully that will help too. Now I just need to convicne the little guy that the hay is yummier than the weeds on the other side of the fence so he will quit busting out [​IMG]

One other question....since we have moved them around our property a bit for different "feeding pastures" (or more appropriately blackberry clusters) does that make them more upset when they don't have brush to eat? Are we making matters worse by moving them around? Would we be better off just keeping them in the mowed down pasture and giving them only grain and hay? One of the reason we got them was to help mow down some of the blackberries...

Thanks again for all the words of wisdom [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by