AHHHHHHH!!!! I'm TOTALLY hating myself!!! *Pic added*

Been watching your post from the beginning and just had two seconds to sit down and cheer you and your fuzzies on! kudos to you and your baby for fighting it out! Good luck and I look forward to the happy ending!
clap.gif

I'm sorry to say that yesterday afternoon when I got home from the flea market he was gone. I wasn't sure at first, but I looked very close and yeah, he was gone. I carefully pulled the press n' seal away, and the smell! It was bad. He hadn't been gone long because he was fine before I left that morning, so the smell came from the one that was for sure dead. I was worried this was going to happen. that if the other one was dead and the decomp. of that guy would kill the other. I guess it did because boy did it stink! That made me sad, and was even more sad to find out that my one of my faves, the speckled Sussex we call "Growly" was dead. She seems to have been killed from over mating like the other hens where but ALL but ONE roo is gone. I'm not sure what caused it to happen. Only thing I can thing of is that since the hens are young and are just reaching maturity they are hitting it one at a time and so he only has one girl to mate with and so he mates her non stop til she's dead and then as the next one in line gets ready he mates her to death. I guess I'm going to have to go and find some mature hens some where and buy a couple to take the pressure off the girls who are not laying yet. Idk it was just a depressing day when I got home. embkm- It was nice to meet you too. It's nice to get to meet a person in real life who likes chickens as much as I do.

I'm sorry to hear about your chick. For me that always seems to happen if I have one egg I REALLY want to have hatch. About your Speckled Sussex...I think you need to replace that rooster! I've had too many roosters per hen for a long time and never had that trouble, but we would separate out any real trouble makers. My Dad would laugh at me when I'd tell him about the roosters and say that we wanted the biggest, meanest rooster for a flock guardian and the nice ones cooked for the table. But it worked out better for us keeping the nice ones.

You did the absolute best you knew how to do, vkp23. You tried harder for those chicks than some people do for their family members. And your Press 'n Seal idea was so creative! I know if you're ever in this sort of situation again, you will be able to pull your twinnies through to hatch.

I'm sorry to hear about your hens, too. Your poor rooster. But you've already shown how creative you are and how much your birds mean to you. It's only a short matter of time until you'll find a solution and save the rest of your hens. I'm rooting for you!
big_smile.png

Oh Bummer! :-( sorry to hear about your twin AND your poor hen! What a day! Keep your head up, You'll figure it all out. On a side note I've had quite a few roosters that were sweet as could be for a while. Then one day I wake up and He's chasing me around, bullying the hens and getting very aggressive with my kidlet! Needless to say, they go quick when that happens. Here's hoping for you and your chickies!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom