AI with ducks? Possible? Or not?

ThePolishPrincess

Songster
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Orange County, New York
I was watching my ducks interact this morning and it go me thinking...we've had our two Muscovy ladies, Lucy and Ethal, for two years to this day.
smile.png
Being their birthdays, the two sisters, I started reflecting on their lives...

I watched as my young Magpie Call drake and his young two Black Bibbed Call females joined my two 'Scovies. Sir Fig Newton is my first and only drake. As he walked passed, Lucy and Ethal snapped at him and he ran away, suiting a yappy rasp. I came to the conclusion that if we had the room next spring, some of Lucy's and Ethal's babies would be nice....But not necessary.

Main Point: I find it highly doubtful that even if my 'Scovy girls would allow Sir Fig Newton to 'get it on' with them, he would be successful. That being said, I don't think they'd want that pipsqueak anywhere near them. Not the most glamorous job, but is AI possible with ducks?
hu.gif

Yes, AI is possible which is how Mules for the meat export market are produced. Mules are a cross between a Scovie Drake and a Pekin Duck. Hinnes are a cross between a Scovie female and a Pekin Drake. All crosses btwn a Scovie and other duck breeds will be infertile. Also, according to Metzer Farms, the fertility/hatch rate is about 30% with a Scovie cross but goes up to 80% with AI.

Awww, go ahead & get yourself a Scovie Drake.
wink.png
A big boy who can hiss his way into your Scovie girls hearts.
gig.gif
There are a lot of handsome Scovie drakes out there and surely you have room for ONE more duck.
big_smile.png

You have no idea how tempting that is.
tongue.png
And I'm sure the ladies would go gaga for a big strong drake, too. SFN is like the geeky, puny little brother...hard to think he'll be trying to mate in a few months.

But my ducks bunk in with the chickens at night and live with them during the whole winter. I'm not going to temp fate. I've heard some really scary stories about big drakes loving up on chicken hens. Gosh, what chaos would that amount to?
lol.png
If my girls don't appreciate their little man, it's good to know I have a backup scheme.

If ducks could talk...Now I'm getting them into an arranged marriage.

I'm curious about how you'd go about AIing ducks. They don't mate the way chickens do. Drakes actually have a penis that penitrates the female vent. So.....how do you get the sperm?

But my ducks bunk in with the chickens at night and live with them during the whole winter. I'm not going to temp fate. I've heard some really scary stories about big drakes loving up on chicken hens. Gosh, what chaos would that amount to? If my girls don't appreciate their little man, it's good to know I have a backup scheme

My drake, Duke, bunked w/the chickens for a few months last winter. They were fine. He has HIS girls plus they weren't breeding through the winter so he was more interested in staying warm and eating.
lol.png
Now, our mallards drakes fm the year before.... Yeash!!!!! They went to freezer camp when they started fighting w/our Rooster regularly.

Sorry, NYREDS, the Metzer Farms blurb didn't go into detail on that.​

NYREDS, I was thinking that as well. I to begin with, I have no idea what I'm doing.
lol.png
That awesome vid on youtube is really what I'm going by, but I can see that as being a problem. (Read something about how the male parts can freeze in the winter if the drake mates often and can't get them to 'go back in'.) Always made me wonder exactly how AI would work with ducks. Maybe I can shoot a friendly E-mail by Metzer Farms and they can hint me in on their secret?
---
I'm tempted to get my girls a normal sized mate for sure. I'll have to look into it. I'd just have to make sure little Sir Fig Newton doesn't get the end of it, though. I can barely consider him a drake right now. He still hasn't grown in that drake curl yet.

Back
Top Bottom