Ailing Pekin

Diane H

Songster
May 15, 2020
Hi Duck friends,
Would like your opinion on a duck who laid a weird “egg”. It’s in quotes because there was no shell and there was no yolk. It was just a membrane with the white in it. And she’s been lethargic for a couple of days and is reluctant to move around.
What can I do to help her. She’s 3 years old.
thanks.

Hi Duck friends,
Would like your opinion on a duck who laid a weird “egg”. It’s in quotes because there was no shell and there was no yolk. It was just a membrane with the white in it. And she’s been lethargic for a couple of days and is reluctant to move around.
What can I do to help her. She’s 3 years old.
thanks.
6E912B61-734C-4E07-AF54-4A6223B1EA5F.jpeg

She might have an infection? Generally when they lay shelless eggs they don't feel well. Has she been eating? Does she have excess calcium available? Has she ever had egg laying issues?

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes supplemental calcium is available. What should I do? Vet isn’t an option where I am.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/causes-of-lash-eggs-salpingitis-by/

As well sometimes the calcium just isn't absorbed and adding vitamin d helps. I add citracal crushed with their oyster shell, but you have to know they are eating it. Since ducks can be finicky, maybe mixing some with mealworms or their favorite treat can help.
Calcium gluconate is also recommended for hens with calcium issues.
Have you tried giving her a warm bath? Maybe egg bound?

I agree, I would start with Calcium Gluconate and some poultry vitamins to see if that does the trick. If you don't start to see improvement after a few days a vet may be needed as she very well could have reproductive issues that require further treatment.

Back
Top Bottom