Air cell detached on 5 of my 9 eggs.Can they still hatch?

bock

Songster
11 Years
Oct 10, 2008
Northern CA
I ordered my ten top hat hatching eggs from Murray Mcmurray,of the 9 that survived the trip 5 have detached air cell, and 2 membranes are pulled back.A few people said they wouldn't grow at all, but they all have healthy embryos.Should I prop them up on the 18th day, or what?Please help I would feel so bad if I began their life just to let them die.:(Any comments would help!!!
hmm.png

Yes all 37 of my serama eggs came with detached air cells. At least 17 are alive on day 10 and majority have something showing so they at least started to grow. Several of the air cells have reattached on the growing ones. I would put them upright to keep the air cell in the right spot so it doesn't get stuck somewhere else. Then I would carton hatch them so they stay upright provided all the air cells are at the top on day 18.

A year ago I received a shipment of eggs that had some broken and most of the intact eggs had the air cells messed up. I did not have information on how to deal with them at that time and layed them on their sides and hand turned them as I did all the eggs. Some developed and three hatched, but out of two doz. not a good hatch at all.

Then I read to stand them on the small end and let them rest an extra long time, put them into the bator standing on the small end and not turn them for a few days and then start turning them. That gives the air cell a chance to stablize.

I have a shipment of pretty little blue banty eggs that arrived with most of the cells floating and I am following that advice. They have been in the incubator for 1 day now, standing on the small end. I hope it works.... I really want a good hatch from them. If the way I have them proped up continues to work, I will leave them and just tilt them several times a day.

With standard size eggs, it is easy - just put them in an egg carton if you don't have a turner - and put them in the bator in the egg carton.

If air cell is detached. the egg is not good any more. even if the egg developes it never hatches. I have tested this many times. When you get eggs and set them to rest, it is the temp that you are getting to equalize. Air cells will never fix them selves. Shipped eggs sucks, it's such a gamble.

Nearly all mine that are developing have fixed themselves. Air cells that were floating no longer do when I tip the egg. Even if the air cell doesn't reattach they can hatch in some cases. I've had chicks pip straight through the side of the egg missing the air cell and finish hatching so it definitely is possible. I haven't had so many completely free floating air cells before but I have hatched many shipped eggs where the air cell was damaged or shifted to one side.

Back
Top Bottom