Air-exchange

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CluckyJay, Jul 13, 2011.

1. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    How would I allow fresh air into the incubator? I do not want to leave the door ajar.

http://www.utm.edu/departments/cece/idea/incu.shtml

Can I add a small vent with a saw's all? Maybe just drill a couple of small holes somewhere so it still retains heat well? Mine is going to be made out of a mini-fridge.

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    My LG has eight holes in the top and I'm pretty sure 8 in the bottom (can't turn it over right now to check--it's working). THe holes are 1/8 inch. THis allows ventilation for one layer of eggs, about 42.

I'm trying to envision applying this to a minifridge. Perhaps cutting away small sections of the gasket, along the bottom edge of the door and drilling holes thru the top at the back of the unit. But if you can accomplish that, perhaps drilling 8 holes in the top and the bottom. As I remember the refridgeration mechanism is on the back , opposite the door. I'm thinking drilling a larger hole and lining the hole with tubing to the fresh air doesn't get lost between the inner and outer layers.

Good luck and have fun building!

3. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    What if I drill them in the plexiglass window were installing? Ya think that would work okay? Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by