Air Quality Concerns

Feeling all of these concerns too. For my layer flocks and my 100 meaties. Really puts what the West Coast goes through into perspective.
Right? I have no frame of reference for what level of precautions need to be taken depending on what the actual levels are. My kid is supposed to have the last lesson of the year today for a favorite activity. So I hate for them to have to miss it, but DH says also if the birds are inside, then we should stay home. :(

My husband thinks I'm crazy. I brought mine all into the basement, too. I have nine in the brooder (which is just a big wire dog crate), three ducks in their carrier, and nine hens in another big plastic dog crate. I figure the ducks are used to going without food and water overnight, but I'll make sure they get access to food and water again before bed at least. I gave the hens some food and water, but I also have two smaller wire crates. So I don't know if I might still split the hens up a bit to give them a little more room. :/
Mine are loose in the garage ( which is my office) - it’s gonna be a lot of cleanup 😬

Luckily, the air quality hasn’t gotten too bad or as bad as it is in a lot of other places quite yet, but I am concerned as well. There’s nowhere to move these girls inside. And I don’t know if I should be concerned for my goats. They’re larger and a bit more hearty of creatures. Out here where I work in Richmond so much haze! Trying to figure out if I should be worried or if I just over worry as well

This is what I did today for my smallish flock. OSB panels nailed together with some thicker bits on 3 corners for stability and one gap to reach in and out. Food water and nest box inside, blanket covering the access gap. The air here in central NY gets really bad at times; it was stinging my eyes earlier if I even stepped out for a brief moment. It'll go through patches where the sky goes back to blue and it's not so bad but then the orange and awful comes back alarmingly fast. I'm running two HEPA air purifiers with carbon in my home, although they probably aren't doing all that much given their size relative to the room (they're meant for something like a cozy office, not a big open area). Still, the indoor air is a lot better than what's outside.
img_20230607_110454__01-jpg.3532392

The wild birds have gone through the worst periods being tucked away and completely silent. I figure they are probably some gauge of how bad it is. They were out and singing this morning and it was a lot better then so I let my flock back out for a bit then but they're going to have to be inside overnight I think.

And I don’t know if I should be concerned for my goats. They’re larger and a bit more hearty of creatures.
I don't have any neighbors with goats, but several people near me have horses in large pastures. I usually hear horse sounds periodically throughout the day outside - there's none now so I assume they have shut them away but obviously not brought them in the house. If they are in a stall then at least they can't run about and start breathing harder and taking in more of the stuff. The less activity the better for animals of any size in these conditions.

It’s starting to get bad here. And looks like it’s going to get worse tomorrow. In about the 200 mark in my area. I’d like to build something in the garage but I have very little time after work Very few supplies, but I might be able to figure out something. But there’s no air conditioning in the garage.

This is what I did today for my smallish flock. OSB panels nailed together with some thicker bits on 3 corners for stability and one gap to reach in and out. Food water and nest box inside, blanket covering the access gap. The air here in central NY gets really bad at times; it was stinging my eyes earlier if I even stepped out for a brief moment. It'll go through patches where the sky goes back to blue and it's not so bad but then the orange and awful comes back alarmingly fast. I'm running two HEPA air purifiers with carbon in my home, although they probably aren't doing all that much given their size relative to the room (they're meant for something like a cozy office, not a big open area). Still, the indoor air is a lot better than what's outside.
img_20230607_110454__01-jpg.3532392

The wild birds have gone through the worst periods being tucked away and completely silent. I figure they are probably some gauge of how bad it is. They were out and singing this morning and it was a lot better then so I let my flock back out for a bit then but they're going to have to be inside overnight I think.

I don't have any neighbors with goats, but several people near me have horses in large pastures. I usually hear horse sounds periodically throughout the day outside - there's none now so I assume they have shut them away but obviously not brought them in the house. If they are in a stall then at least they can't run about and start breathing harder and taking in more of the stuff. The less activity the better for animals of any size in these conditions.
Luckily, my goats are older, so they don’t run around like maniacs as much as they used to especially in the heat. They usually just graze about, but could be hanging out in their shelter today where it’s much cooler.

Hi!! I’m in VA and we’re really starting to have poor air quality. It smells like a bonfire outside and it’s hard for me to breathe if i’m out tending to my garden too long. I’m concerned about my pullets and if it’s affecting them too. Anyone doing anything to help improve their situation outside?
I heard the Canadian wildfire smoke had drifted into NY and VA over last weekend making air quality poor. Probably what has happened to you. Not sure anything can be done however.

Coming to you from California where we went through that for an entire summer.
It was so dark my girls all molted in August.
We tried enclosing the run in a canvas style tarp to keep the smoke out, which wasn't perfect but helped some. Took the hose and soaked it down early afternoon and evening.
We

Back
Top Bottom