Air Sac in duck egg covering half of the egg?!

Feb 17, 2021
Okay everyone PLZ help me out here! I just finished candling all 10 of my duck eggs and a few of them have huge air sacs covering little less than half of the egg! It almost looks like it is a saddle air sac that can be in shipped eggs, but these are my ducks eggs... The eggs are alive though! It is day 10 ( maybe 11, gotta check ) and I have the temp at 99.5 degrees Fahrenheit, with the humidity at 55%-ish. Did I set the eggs right before putting them in the incubator? Should I up the humidity? This is my first time hatching duck eggs and I've never had this happen with chicken eggs I've hatched. Will the ones with the weird sacs live to hatch? Please help!

upon checking the air cell size is indeed abnormally large against pictures for the given day, I would max out the humidity to hopefully stop air cell growth. I would also check the temps are not too high using 2 external thermometers (which would also cause accelerated embryo development and moisture loss).

Okay... but to what humidity should i do it too? Sorry but I do not want to get the humdity level wrong.
you need a hygrometer, you can get them cheap, anything is better than nothing but its best to get a couple calibrated ones to be safe.
Are you putting water in the incubator? Duck eggs need fairly high humidity and you need to add a little water to the incubator, either in a small bowl or tray or even by spraying the water in, just not on the eggs directly, the walls of the incubator.

Okay everyone PLZ help me out here! I just finished candling all 10 of my duck eggs and a few of them have huge air sacs covering little less than half of the egg! It almost looks like it is a saddle air sac that can be in shipped eggs, but these are my ducks eggs... The eggs are alive though! It is day 10 ( maybe 11, gotta check ) and I have the temp at 99.5 degrees Fahrenheit, with the humidity at 55%-ish. Did I set the eggs right before putting them in the incubator? Should I up the humidity? This is my first time hatching duck eggs and I've never had this happen with chicken eggs I've hatched. Will the ones with the weird sacs live to hatch? Please help!
Duck eggs need 45-55% humidity, I generally keep it around 50% until lockdown but it depends on the size of the air cells. You may want it a little less or a little more to ensure the right amount. For you I would suggest a little more, but someone more experienced may give better advice. If the air cells are that big, I'd suggest that your hygrometer is not accurate and to get another one asap

Back
Top Bottom